• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning to training, Shotokan; need advice

SakranMM

Hi Everyone:

I have recently returned to martial arts training after a hiatus of several years.

I began studying American Karate (this particular system had a strong TKD base, with some Shotokan and Aikido thrown in as well) when I was 14, and earned a 2nd degree brown belt. I eventually got burned out, and took a few months off.

I transferred my brown belt to another school which taught a similar style, but with more of a Shotokan base, and I earned my Shodan-ho at age 17 (it is my understanding that Shodan-ho is sort of like a "probationary" black belt; in that school, one also had to earn an orange belt in jiujitsu to be considered a full shodan, but I entered the military shortly thereafter, and never had a chance to return.)

So now I'm 30, married w/kids, and in graduate school in the New York area (near Yonkers.) I am living basically off a scholarship for the next 2 years, and cannot afford to take lessons at a dojo, so my only option is to train alone.

I have made a commitment to pursue traditional Shotokan Karate as best as I am able. Because I cannot afford to take lessons at a real dojo, I have to rely on books, videos, and my previous background to train.

Right now, I am focusing on kihon and learning the kata. There are a few black belts at my school who have trained in TKD, and we do get together and train a few times a month, but nothing in the way of Shotokan.

So, considering my situation, can anyone offer any advice to help me progress in my training until I can finish school and afford to enter an established dojo?

My thanks.

In Christ,

Michael

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure your situation is frustrating, I can definitely relate to the notion of wanting to train and improve more and not having the means to do so. In the last year or two I have done significant training outside my school in the areas of kobudo and kata because there are certain things we simply don't get around to learning during the regular training hours at my school.

Now, some people will tell you that you need a teacher to be able to properly learn and understand any sort of martial art and that attempting to train without the direct instruction of a teacher is pointless and not necessarily beneficial to your understanding of the martial art in question, a notion that I only partially agree with. I agree that one needs a strong foundation (basic techniques, stances, understanding of bunkai) that can really only be learned from and corrected by an actual instructor that can look at your technique.

However, based on my own experiences, I can tell you that is unquestionably possible to learn without the direct supervision of a teacher through the use of books, videos, and the internet. Youtube has been an invaluable asset in picking up new kata for me, but I'm admittedly a very visual learner and I can quickly pick things up that way. On top of that, since you're a practitioner of Shotokan Karate (which is what I practice) I have to recommend the "Best Karate" series of books by Matayoshi Nakayama. The books are extremely detailed, containing pictures and a very clear explanation of each technique. They range from the application of basic techniques and kumite all the way up to the most advanced of Shotokan style kata. If its kata in particular you're looking to improve, the use of videos freely accessible on Youtube in combination with the books I recommended should get you where you want to go.

Of course, once you've learned a form, perfecting it is another matter entirely, which is admittedly difficult to do without having someone to watch and critique. I've always found that videotaping yourself performing a kata is a reasonable substitute for another's comments, assuming you can be honest with yourself and what you need to work on. It is admittedly an extremely humbling experience actually seeing yourself perform a kata on tape because it often looks very very different than what you think it may in your mind's eye. Of course, you can always post videos of yourself online asking for comments as well (something I've done myself). I know there are plenty of people on this forum at least who would be happy to give you additional pointers.

Of course, all that in mind, nothing is truly better than having other people to train with.

I'm of the same mind as rogue here. I have been reading the Best Karate series myself, and find the layout helpful. Also, you could look into finding a copy of Funakoshi's Karate-Do Kyohan, as I have heard it is a very valuable piece of MA literature, as well.

I'm of the same mind as rogue here. I have been reading the Best Karate series myself, and find the layout helpful. Also, you could look into finding a copy of Funakoshi's Karate-Do Kyohan, as I have heard it is a very valuable piece of MA literature, as well.

You know, I forgot to mention Funakoshi's books because its been so long since I've read them. both Karate-Do Nyumon (basics) and Karate-Do Kyohan (advanced) are excellent overviews over Shotokan Karate. Some of the teachings in there are very very traditional and aren't necessarily relevant to modern training, but the concepts are still there. (When I mention traditional training I'm referring to the type of training where you get hit with a sword when you're not low enough in a stance, or a sumo-size individual jumps on your back to make your split stretch further, the sort of thing that would have lawsuits all over the place.) Any any case, I'd definitely recommend both of those books as well.