• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training white belts with ADD

Chuck

I have ADHD. And ive been doing karate since I was a little boy. The thing here is lack of interest. A kid with ADD or ADHD has trouble focusing on things, however, when given the chance to do something that is interesting to him, the focus is inhanced. for example, I love puzzles, and when Im doing one I sometimes get so into it that I dont even notice anything or hear anything around me, though I cant focus neraly as well with other stuff. Same thing with karate. If the kid doesnt really want to learn it, he wont focus on it, and no matter what, there isnt really anything you can do to make him except get him interested.

Looks like Raymond has ADHD; he still needs work, but looks like he's falling in line (getting interested).

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a room full of ADHD kids...and sometimes instructors!!!!! Sometimes it is just a matter of figuring out their learning style so you should try to incorporate activities that appeal to each learning styles (i.e., do the same thing many different ways) every class-eventually you will be able to pick out which kid responds to what style. Once you have that identified it is easier to help a student who is "stalled out" by fitting a drill or explanation to his style.

Here is one of many links with info on this:

http://www.ldpride.net/learningstyles.MI.htm

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/