• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kumite Combinations

rogue2257

I dont spar much, but when I do, I usualy use kisame>gyako zuki combo... but sometimes I use some random punch (like uraken...) or kick (mawashi....) as well... and to keep opponent at bay I usualy use mae geri :)

I almost hate to ask, but I'm not familiar with either kisame or gyako zuki. I've never heard those terms before. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail?

If you find yourself favoring a particular combination, don't start avoiding it out of fear of becoming predictable. Develop variations that prey on your opponent's familiarity with it, setting up an expectation by obviously overusing a certain sequence and subverting that expectation by changing the target, timing, or type of any of the elements of the combination. Just don't change the first hit or two, or they won't have anything 'predictable' to sucker them into reacting incorrectly. Something as simple as changing a jab-jab-cross to a jabjab-cross or jab-jab...cross can pay enormous dividends.

Thanks, Toptomcat, those are some great suggestions. That nails part of the problem I've been having recently. As I use my combinations and my opponent becomes familiar with them I start fearing to use my best techniques because they've already seen them and I worry they'll be less effective.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont spar much, but when I do, I usualy use kisame>gyako zuki combo... but sometimes I use some random punch (like uraken...) or kick (mawashi....) as well... and to keep opponent at bay I usualy use mae geri :)

I almost hate to ask, but I'm not familiar with either kisame or gyako zuki. I've never heard those terms before. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail?

Kizami-zuki = Front hand jab punch.

Gyaku-zuki = Reverse punch.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Believe it or not but some of the best techniques can be your basics or Kihon. You dont want to get to fancy with a move that has to be presented almost flawlessly.

I remember watching a tournament and it was the finals for the grandmaster. The two black belts that where fighting had almost a 20+ yr spread on ages.

The older one just threw the basic techniques while the younger one was trying to woo and wow the crowd with techniques I wouldnt dare to use. The older guy won. I was judgeing this and I think the best part about the whole match was the older guy while shaking hands with the young guy said to him - doesnt matter how flashy your moves are, how fast you can throw them as long as you know what your hitting and can hit it you'll always win.

That's a bit of a non sequitur- kihon are wonderful, but they aren't combinations and can't fill their role. Whether you build your combinations out of simple and time-honored or complex and flashy parts, you need them for competence in sparring, and they help tremendously for effective self-defense. Employing techniques in quick succession, and studying which work best together when employed in rapid sequence, doesn't render them somehow newfangled, suspect, decorative, or nontraditional.

That's a bit of a non sequitur- kihon are wonderful, but they aren't combinations and can't fill their role. Whether you build your combinations out of simple and time-honored or complex and flashy parts, you need them for competence in sparring, and they help tremendously for effective self-defense. Employing techniques in quick succession, and studying which work best together when employed in rapid sequence, doesn't render them somehow newfangled, suspect, decorative, or nontraditional.

I have to agree here, a lot of the most basic techniques learned in karate (deep stances and the standard defends in particular) simply have no place in kumite. After all, have you ever seen someone in a true deep kiba dachi (horse stance) in kumite? Of course not. It's just impractical. The notion that simple, or basic combinations may be better in kumite is hardly without merit, but the expectation that traditional karate techniques belong in kumite is absurd. Everything is much faster and more free flowing. Those sorts of techniques belong to kata, where they can shine.

I have to agree here, a lot of the most basic techniques learned in karate (deep stances and the standard defends in particular) simply have no place in kumite. After all, have you ever seen someone in a true deep kiba dachi (horse stance) in kumite? Of course not. It's just impractical. The notion that simple, or basic combinations may be better in kumite is hardly without merit, but the expectation that traditional karate techniques belong in kumite is absurd. Everything is much faster and more free flowing. Those sorts of techniques belong to kata, where they can shine.

Now when did I say all that? :-)

Some traditional karate kihon are, it's true, entirely impractical in kumite- but there are a good many useful techniques that are often discarded because of that kind of mindset. What I said was that whatever sort of technique you use, you'll need to put them in combinations in order to make them work.

I think you missed what I was saying. The older guy that was at this tournament used his head in that, he threw straight forward punches, maybe a hook kick but he kept'd his sparring looking basic and won.

The kid he fought wanted to show off by throwing the most flashy techniques to try and score faster.

Age won with wisdom.

Some combos that have worked well for me:

jab, cross, lead hook

jab, lead hook, cross

jab, sliding lead hook, overhand

feint jab, cross, cross

jab, cross, low lead hook, hook

jab, overhand right, lead uppercut

with kicks:

lead front, MT round, cross

jab, cross, MT round

lead round, back round

lead round, jab low, MT round, overhand, uppercut

I'm working off the assumption that you're not utilizing elbows and knees, if I'm incorrect let me know. This isn't an exhaustive list, just some ideas that have worked for me.

Good luck.

Vary the level your striking to with your techniques can help a lot of times as well. Often, we get fixated on hitting the head with our hands and the body only catches a kick now and then. When striking to various levels(think head, head, body, head etc.) you force someone to alter their defensive posture. Take those same combinations and try altering them to hit different targets.

to go with Tallgeese here, a few combinations.

front kick, jab, cross

jab, cross, body hook, head hook

round house high, spinning back, backfist, cross/hook the body

jab, jab, hook, round house to body

jab, cross, lead round to the body(orthidox stance puts you hitting the liver)

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine