• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clever: News Show or Ad?

joesteph

Just surfing the Net, I came across what, to all appearances, is a news report in text and video. It's at:

http://www.news9today.com/smokingfuture/index.php

It gives the appearance of a professional report on a safer cigarette, one that gives the smoker no smoke but an amount of nicotine, instead. I read the text, watched the main video, and clicked on the link (appearing in the text as "E-cigarette") to the manufacturer's web site, which is obviously an ad. Only after I did these and returned to the news page did I realize that above the banner in the text was the italicized word Advertisement.

This news-appearing presentation, called News 9 Today, has video connections to actual reports by CBS, CHEX TV, and MSNBC.

It's a creative ad, leading you to the manufacturer's site.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting thread, Joe.

Yeah, I mean, these sorts of advertisements have existed offline for a very long time, in newspapers and magazines. Disclaimers and disclosures are the key. They're integrating legitimate news coverage, with marketing material placed in a news format.

There is one big problem with this. If you go to http://news12today.com/, you see the same thing. Notice her name is Janice. Is it Janice or is it Julie? Did one of these sites rip-off the other and change the name? Is this a template site that is being distributed by the manufacturer to affiliates and then they are creating multiple websites using it? It could be a harmless accident, but it is strange. Being a web developer and someone who is concerned with ethical online marketing, I see things from that perspective.

The other part that is questionable is the implication that News 9 Today is an actual, news channel. Obviously, the name was created to imply that. This is, perhaps, somewhat deceptive.

Other than those issues, I don't really mind the ad and I am all for creativity in advertising. :)

Patrick