• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructors: Worry you're faking people out?

To be honest I've only ever been in a few scuffles and few tournaments up to the time I finished college. As instructors we take ourselves on the premises that we are teaching something that is effective (or at least a traditional art).

I can keep myself satisfied that I am teaching MDK because I have seen other practitioners and exhibitions from other grandmasters that teach at least what I know, or less.

But, when I think about teaching self-defense, I can't help but ask myself the question:

Off all the "scraps" I've been in, I've never used the full repertoire of my skills, and I know that it would be good if that never happened. Even the ones I've been in (though most were the outcome of others not wishing to diffuse the situation despite me attempts) were short, before I was even 18, and nothing that drew attention of authorities. So, how do I know how effective my skills are, in self-defense terms.

I know a bit about turning and canting and taking down through some reading on Judo, and football (you may be surprised what you learn in Highschool offensive line if you haven't played), plus some help from some O-line coaches who did Judo and Kempo and old-time wrestling (actually my head coach wrestled an orangutan once, back in the day).

But in terms of real gritty self-defense of high level kickboxing, I sometimes wonder if I am deceiving people without even knowing that I am. It is so hard to be confident in one's skills without experience, to the level of having other people trust in you. My experience is that I really haven't been bested in a long while and that I am pretty good, though I always wonder: how much is enough.

As an example: A lot of self-defense is for women and anti-rape oriented. But no man ever will have to fight off a rape the same way. How much should we expect others to trust in our methods?

Does anyone else have these thoughts?

Thanks!

"It is better to die for one's master than to fight the enemy."

- Hagakure

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your self honesty is commendable. Anyone not having these concerns should.

. . . I've never used the full repertoire of my skills . . .

That very aptly states the issue. I would not hesitate to wager my every cent that no one reading this has applied their entire skill base in self defense. Some have certainly utilized more of their training than others, but no one has put everything they teach to the final test. You are right to have concerns about your experiences limiting your ability to to confidently declare every movement or strategy that you pass to your students to be effective, and in those doubts you are not alone.

When you find yourself beyond the boundaries of your personal experience, you must trust in evidence, your own reason, and the experiences of others. Speak to your own instructors, peers, and even students about any experience that may inform you, and thoroughly examine each suspect technique for technical soundness.

Seek opportunities to expand your experience. Find someone with whom you may engage in full contact fights, drills, and scenarios; test any questionable material with as much power and realism as reasonable safety concerns will allow. If you have any opportunity to use Blauer "High Gear" training suits or similar equipment, I hope you take it. Your students trust you and the education that you provide with – potentially – their lives, and good conscience, if nothing else, should restrain you from teaching anything which you believe may fail them; if you have doubts about a technique, seek to eliminate them. This may require some effort, discomfort, and risk on your own part, but the willingness to take those measures is a mark of a good teacher.

*Salute*

Edited by algernon

Keep testing things.

I agree, putting things to the test against a committed partner with armor is still one of the best ways to drill. It's still not real, but it's a good indicator. Don't spar with him all the time (although that's also a good training tool) but actually have him ATTACK you.

And test everything.

If you can't make it work in heavy drilling, then it's a sure bet it will fall apart in reality. Find the places and situations where your weapons work, and train them there. No use making a square peg try and fit into a round hole.

Rely on those who've been there. Pick apart their situations with an eye to a debriefing mentality. Not only what worked, but what could have worked better. Look at it thru what you do and could bring to the table.

Then, test what you evaluate in the debrief.

I get to lay hands on people for a living, and I haven't used the whole set of my skills either. That's not unusual in this day and age. Find your go-to movements and work your secondary skills with the same intensity. They'll be ready.

Really find where things work. For instance, I've drilled alot of small joint manipulation over the years, but I've found that against drunk, high, or merely highly aggressive individuals on the street it's hard to use and typically not worth the risk unless: a) controlling a weapon or a single arm for any reason (for me this is often handcuffing); and b) manipulating people out of stationary positions. My case in point to this is usually removal from a vehicle. The appendage is starting from a fixed point and it's much easier and safer to set in this type of movement.

So do they have a place, yes, but you have to find it. This will vary for everyone who trains. Teasing out how best for each individual to make use of what you have to teach is part of the biggest key to not deceiving people and building them into the best fighter they can be.

And when in doubt about what you've discovered for yourself or others- you guessed it- test it.

Evaluate, test, re-evaluate, and put those observations into practice. It will keep building not only your art, but your confidence in what your teaching.

I study MacYoung, Miller, et al; when I hear about other people getting into situations I ask questions about how it went down, build scenarios out of those conditions, and try to build plans for those attackers. I actively look for counters and holes in my movements that I need to address or take note of. I don't assume that I can do a whole heck of a lot of damage, and try to make sure that there are contingencies for me to do a technique that does exactly nothing. Techniques should always be done to open up options to flee, and so I work toward more generous victory conditions than others might.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

This is a great thread. Good replies algernon, Alex and JusticeZero. And thank you, Dark Planet.

Patrick

Aside from what the others have said, I will be *that guy* who says: Practice, practice, and more practice.

Keep practicing the not-so-common self defence and see what you can adapt to the common ones. Keep practicing the power of your voice and situational awareness. Keep it all up and you'll feel better about your reactions to the situation when it comes about, and you can't run anymore--or you can't run at all.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Aside from what the others have said, I will be *that guy* who says: Practice, practice, and more practice.

Keep practicing the not-so-common self defence and see what you can adapt to the common ones. Keep practicing the power of your voice and situational awareness. Keep it all up and you'll feel better about your reactions to the situation when it comes about, and you can't run anymore--or you can't run at all.

How does one spell martial arts? P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree about the practice, but using the methods that test your moves is going to be very beneficial practice. The DT sessions that I have had have been great for this. Also, doing research, and then working off the data, is a good approach to take, as well.

I agree about the practice, but using the methods that test your moves is going to be very beneficial practice. The DT sessions that I have had have been great for this. Also, doing research, and then working off the data, is a good approach to take, as well.

I concur!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 4 months later...

In my opinion...

If you're not a fighter, havent been in multiple fights, and havent practiced frequently at near 100% resistance- you should not be teaching other people how to do something you've never done.