• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts vs Fighting

Ti

I think that by training extensively, then yes, it is possible to reach that kind of level. And if you feel confident enough in your abilities so that you don't need to use them, then that's fantastic.

However, at times, some people don't have the luxury of taking that option, and therefore, must fight in some form or another.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that fighting is the ultimate test of a Martial Art and the Martial Artist. In the rather hackneyed words of Bruce Li "Boards dont hit back". Quite often if you see a Martial Artist who dosn't know how to apply his art in a real situation he resorts to street fighting technique and not the skills he has developed in Martial Arts. A good Martial Art should be taught with the application in mind.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that fighting is the ultimate test of a Martial Art and the Martial Artist. In the rather hackneyed words of Bruce Li "Boards dont hit back". Quite often if you see a Martial Artist who dosn't know how to apply his art in a real situation he resorts to street fighting technique and not the skills he has developed in Martial Arts. A good Martial Art should be taught with the application in mind.

Nicle worded. One cannot deny that fighting, is a aspect of martial arts.

Well put. Martial arts does have a very important key word in the very name, "martial." If martial arts aren't taught with real life application in mind, then you might as well be learning how to dance, because all you're doing is bouncing around on a mat.