• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it leadership or egoship?

sensei8

Why does Karate place such a value on the Karate hierarchy of Sensei's, Sempai's, and Kohai's?

Simple question enough...or is it?!?

Everyone NEEDS someone to teach them! Everyone NEEDS someone to lead the journey! Eveyone NEEDS someone to mentor them! Everyone NEEDS someone to believe in them! Everyone NEEDS someone...no matter the reason(s)! That's as simple as I can put it.

I'll await others a chance to answer the question before I comment any further.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my experience I have not seen a particular emphasis placed on the hierarchy per se. However as in any hierarchical structure you will have those who feel that they must climb the ladder regardless of all else. It's regrettable to be sure. The key is to remain humble.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

In my experience hierarchy simply tells you who to go to. And in some cases who has the final official say.

For example, if one wants to do their color belt test at another school, they would have to notify their kwanjangnim, who would then be responsible for notifying the kwanjangnim over the other school, and making sure that the proper paperwork gets sent over.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Similar to a military chain of command, I would imagine. Other than for that reason and for historical interest, it can also give you an idea of what might have inspired the founder and might give you some more insight into your chosen art.

You know, Bob, I'm not sure what to think here. Its a good question. To be sure, there are cases when it does become an ego thing. Not all cases are that way, though, and the heirarchy can have its uses.

One nice thing about rank display (belts) is that it allows a student to know where they are, where the person next to them is, and if that person might be able to answer a question they have. If they can't, then they can move up the chain. Overall, organizational heirarchy should work this way, as well. Likewise, the possession of a rank within the heirarchy should denote that the person has attained such knowledge along the way.

Karate is a Japanese art.

The sensei, senpai, kohai relationship is a very typical and important part of the pedagogy behind transmiting these arts. It is a system that has flourished in Japan and has little or nothing to do with ego.

IMO everyone has their part to play and should do it to the best of their ability.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I find it refreshing to have the hierarchy you have in a dojo. Too many children (and adults) show such a lack of respect for others that they need the leadership and/or ego of a Sensei to teach them respect and in many cases take them down a notch.

Look how most school teachers are treated these days by student and partents. I'd like to see what happens in a dojo if a student talked to the Sensei the same way they talk to most teachers.

Sensei, Renshi are terms that others moight use to describe you but I was always taught that it is not your place to use such titles to describe yourself.

There is a song that others might sing however hich goes something like:

oh lord its hard to be humble

when you're perfect in everyway

I cant wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day

some people can me egotistical

I dont even know what it means

I guess it has something to do with the way I fill out my blue jeans etc etc

I find it refreshing to have the hierarchy you have in a dojo. Too many children (and adults) show such a lack of respect for others that they need the leadership and/or ego of a Sensei to teach them respect and in many cases take them down a notch.

Look how most school teachers are treated these days by student and partents. I'd like to see what happens in a dojo if a student talked to the Sensei the same way they talk to most teachers.

I so agree with this! I worked in a public school for couple of years and it was ridicules how these kids talk and treated the staff and there was nothing you really could do about it either. :kaioken: