• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi this, Gi that...

I've just gotten a new Gi and it made me start thinking. What do you tell your students about maintaining your gi? We had a great discussion the other day about keeping it up, not washing it regularly vs. washing it at all... etc.

I'm curious to know what you folks teach your students about their uniforms, and why.

:)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wear gi's all that much outside of BJJ training these days. However, I won't roll with dudes who don't wash their gi after every training session. So hence, I wash mine after everyone.

Cold water only, hang dry. That's been the same since way back when I was using a karate style gi.

I have a gi that is about 8 years old and for the first 4-5 years I wore it 4 or more times a week. It's a basic student weight black uniform. The knees have been tissue paper thin for the last 6 years but as of yet they have not split open.

In other words, uniforms can last a long time. I'd say that unless you are rolling around on the ground most of your training, it'd be pretty hard to ruin your gi.

As far as what setting I wash it on? It's the selection that says "mixed colors/dark". ;)

I run it through the drier as well, but again I don't know what the settings are.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

However, I won't roll with dudes who don't wash their gi after every training session. So hence, I wash mine after everyone.
That is a must! For a start I don't know how people can put on something they've already sweated in... and its not nice for the other person if you stink of BO and have to do any sort of partner work with them.

Just wash mine warm and then leave to hang dry.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A few of the folks I know don't wash their gi because they believe it will ruin it, or that it will shrink. Another one actually mentioned something about sweat helping to keep the gi strong but I completely disagree with that.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

A few of the folks I know don't wash their gi because they believe it will ruin it, or that it will shrink. Another one actually mentioned something about sweat helping to keep the gi strong but I completely disagree with that.
That just sounds nasty, and hygene problems to boot.

I would always tell the students to cold wash, or on warm/cold, if it isn't a cottong gi, and then either tumble dry on a low setting, or let it hang dry. My Aikido gi is cotton, so I hang dry it.

WASH THE DARN THING!!!!!!

I'm not a clothes expert, but, aren't gi's of today, not all, but most, PRE-SHRUNK. In the old days, the first thing we had to do with our new gi's was to WASH it so that it'll shrink, but even then, the shrink wasn't much. Once the gi was washed, patches could be added. Add the patches before the first wash, well, the patch would bunch up pretty bad.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Not washing the uniform is not an option - mine are soaked with sweat by the time I'm done. I buy uniforms a bit on the large side - if they shrink a touch then fine. Normally wash around 40 degrees, bit of bleach now and then. For striking arts, I only use the thicker canvas uniforms - they don't cling to you like the softer cotton ones. Canvas is a pain to iron though, but I iron them before every training session, even if I'm not attending a formal class.

• 2 weeks later...

My rule on gi's is that they need to be clean, in good repair (frayed/worn a bit is OK but not torn) and relatively wrinkle free. Doesn't have to be ironed exactly, just not a wrinkled mess. I have a brown belt thats been with me many years that I have to remind now and then about the wrinkle rule. He just stuffs it in a bag after class. :roll:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

You work out, you sweat, therefore washing your uniform is necessary - mandatory if I was a teacher or owned a school. I have trained next to some classmates that didn't wash their uniform and it was very distracting. I couldn't concentrate because of the horrible odor and couldn't wait for the class to be over.

If it's shrinkage someone is worried about, then wash on cold water --- spray a strain treatment product or pour detergent directly on the armpit section of the uniform & any other offensive areas.

Good hygiene is a must !

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert