• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What has surprised you most about your style?

usc96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that's surprised and shocked me about my main "style" (the tang soo do to taekwondo continuum) is the chaos, ignorance and lack of basic insight into martial arts applications, biomechanics and physics at "the top". I hate hearing "force equals mass times acceleration" followed by some unrelated or simple-minded conclusion, then a straight-faced claim that their version of the art is scientifically derived. As a junior member in a big school with instructors whose limits you can't even begin to comprehend, you can never imagine that so many taekwondo schools - including your own - not only can't agree on, but can't even begin to enumerate let alone compare, core credible body mechanical principles available to generate power. No wonder there was a void for modern ITF's sine wave to fill, but I still think it's a huge regression from Shotokan hip rotation. And - I believe - top instructors often still don't understand the alternatives and compromises in most kicking movements....

ok... time for some tai chi...

Cheers all,

Tony

;-P

I'm really a low, and I mean low kicker, Michi. I go for the knee and the thigh, using my lower shin for the strike. I'll know I've improved in the JKD roundhouse when I can come down at a 45 degree angle.

I think that where I'm hitting doesn't require as much power as, say, to the ribs and, from what I've been introduced to so far, seems to be in combination with a punch to the face. It's like high-low, high-low, or low-high, etc.

I do know what you mean and actually done well the "Sport" Mawashi (ie round house chambered the same way as front kick) is pretty devastating.

I have seen several competitors knocked unconscious with this kick when it is well targeted.

As my old sensei says - you don't actually have to hit people that hard to knock them out - after all you can condition your body to accept powerful blows but you cant really condition your skull.

This is an excellent example of the full power Mawashi (knee from side) by Kagawa sensei of the Japan Karate Shoto-Renmei

BTW even in my prime (and I am well past it now :-? ) I wasn't able to get anywhere near this guy's standard. He is awesome.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

One thing that's surprised and shocked me about my main "style" (the tang soo do to taekwondo continuum) is the chaos, ignorance and lack of basic insight into martial arts applications, biomechanics and physics at "the top". I hate hearing "force equals mass times acceleration" followed by some unrelated or simple-minded conclusion, then a straight-faced claim that their version of the art is scientifically derived. As a junior member in a big school with instructors whose limits you can't even begin to comprehend, you can never imagine that so many taekwondo schools - including your own - not only can't agree on, but can't even begin to enumerate let alone compare, core credible body mechanical principles available to generate power. No wonder there was a void for modern ITF's sine wave to fill, but I still think it's a huge regression from Shotokan hip rotation. And - I believe - top instructors often still don't understand the alternatives and compromises in most kicking movements....

Cheers all,

Tony

;-P

Hi Tony,

The saying ignorance is bliss can surely be no more appropriate within many modern MA dojo.

Still, enjoy you Tai Chi.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

What surprised me the most about Jeet Kune Do is the use of a front kick chamber to fire off a front kick, side kick, or roundhouse. Beautiful!

The latter is really difficult to generate any sort of power with if you chamber to the front of the body.... but it does conceal your intentions.

Personally, I have learnt both this way and also with bringing my knee in from the side - which is more powerful but less discrete.

WNM

My instructor is big on the "knee in from the side" version of the kick; or what he refers to as the "full traditional" round kick. I use it a lot, almost exclusively, when I practice, and always for board breaks. However, the shorter, sport kick will come into play more for sparring drills, and for kicking lower, it is ok, but even then, the full round kick is really very damaging, when you need it.

This question is more for fun than anything else :D, but what has surprised you most about your style?

I am a 2nd degree brown belt in Kempo Karate, testing for 1st Dan in December after nearly 5 yrs.

Here is what has surprised me:

1. We don't break boards, ice, bricks, or much of anything (though I have broken a toe or two);

2. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but no matter how much I have tried, I just ain't that limber; :lol:

3. I can hit pretty hard when I want;

4. I can jump pretty high, but add "spinning" to the mix and I'm just about useless (I get dizzy);

5. Anyone can make it to black belt, but few stick with it;

6. I don't see too many of our moves used in sparing (I'm afraid to use them myself for fear of getting called down for sweeping, etc);

7. Karate is 40% cardiovascular, 40% mental, and only 20% physical strength;

8. Why do we learn without shoes? How often are you going to be attacked at the beach or in your house?

So what can you add? :karate:

its a HUGE offense to wear shoes on the mat or inside a dojo!

It's a sign of disrespect as you bring evil spirits into the room.

Good to know. Don't want the evil spirits to come into the room. :idea:

Cheers all,

Tony

;-P

I can sympathise with this... I usually end up ranting to the other students and giving them a lesson on mechanics when they try to quote the "theory of power" to me. Most just lap up what they're told without actually having any thought going in to it at all.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

its a HUGE offense to wear shoes on the mat or inside a dojo!

It's a sign of disrespect as you bring evil spirits into the room.

Good to know. Don't want the evil spirits to come into the room. :idea:

Yeah that, or maybe it's because you don't want to tear up the mats. Fancy that idea.

WNM words What surprises me about my style?

1. Just how little it is understood - mostly by people that practice it!!!

ME Totally agree far too many clubs that focus on sport and cpompetition at the loss of the art.

2. Why people will insist on comparing it to Shotokan - in a somewhat watered down way!

ME oh yes so so true

3. How many people feel that Wado can be used as an excuse to form their own group / wado-based style - due to the fact that Ohtsuka integrated karate techniques into his jujutsu vision.

ME The true path is the right path the principles are vital to maintain. Think from experience that this happens in all styles but due to the variety of wado more chance for problematic diversity.

WNM

After giving this question some thought...

At first, everything surprised me. Then, as the years went by, nothing really surprised me. Now, I don't allow anything to surprise me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!