• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What has surprised you most about your style?

usc96

What surprises me about my style?

1. Just how little it is understood - mostly by people that practice it!!!

2. Why people will insist on comparing it to Shotokan - in a somewhat watered down way! :evil:

3. How many people feel that Wado can be used as an excuse to form their own group / wado-based style - due to the fact that Ohtsuka integrated karate techniques into his jujutsu vision.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question is more for fun than anything else :D, but what has surprised you most about your style?

I am a 2nd degree brown belt in Kempo Karate, testing for 1st Dan in December after nearly 5 yrs.

Here is what has surprised me:

1. We don't break boards, ice, bricks, or much of anything (though I have broken a toe or two);

2. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but no matter how much I have tried, I just ain't that limber; :lol:

3. I can hit pretty hard when I want;

4. I can jump pretty high, but add "spinning" to the mix and I'm just about useless (I get dizzy);

5. Anyone can make it to black belt, but few stick with it;

6. I don't see too many of our moves used in sparing (I'm afraid to use them myself for fear of getting called down for sweeping, etc);

7. Karate is 40% cardiovascular, 40% mental, and only 20% physical strength;

8. Why do we learn without shoes? How often are you going to be attacked at the beach or in your house?

So what can you add? :karate:

its a HUGE offense to wear shoes on the mat or inside a dojo!

It's a sign of disrespect as you bring evil spirits into the room.

This has more to do with a cultural belief than anything else. Training in shoes has its merits.

This has more to do with a cultural belief than anything else. Training in shoes has its merits.

I agree,

Whilst I am a traditionalist, and observe rule sets like not wearing shoes in the dojo (part of the dojo-kun as it were), I believe that you must be able to perform equally well if you are wearing shoes -no point otherwise.

But sometimes it is important to look beyond what might appear to be cultural differences in order to fully appreciate a martial art form for what it is and how it works. In my group for example we practice kata that amongst other things allow us to experience the importance of the feet being perfectly flat on the floor (on all four corners). Important because it engenders correct ankle-knee-thigh-hip girdle alignment.

Not saying that this cant be achieved wearing shoes but maybe it is a bit more difficult.

WNM

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

It may not be more difficult, just different. I, too, attend a "traditional" school that advocates training barefoot, and I don't usually mind it. But, training with shoes on does change things a bit, and is something that should be experienced once in a while to be accounted for.

Maybe it is more difficult to realise it in shoes because of their structure, and the fact that most modern shoes (particularly trainers) tend to support the shape of the foot a lot more.

WNM

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

A couple of times a week a go for a jog round the block (jees I hate running :( ) after which I practice some wado kata and basics in my back garden - with my running shoes on.

This is not the same as it is in the dojo and I am happy with this. Even stepping through on junzuki - with shoes on changes the dynamics "slightly" .... but you have to learn to manage this.

Its a bit like the old adage of doing junzuki uphill is the best way to learn it.

Also I would add that it is a commonly held misconseption that just because Japanese MA like Judo and Karate are "typically" practiced in bare feet means that they are "only" done in bare feet. - Not necessarily so.

WNM

What surprised me the most about Soo Bahk Do is how I can understand forms moves/applications if I "think Tai Chi."

What surprised me the most about Jeet Kune Do is the use of a front kick chamber to fire off a front kick, side kick, or roundhouse. Beautiful!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

What surprised me the most about Jeet Kune Do is the use of a front kick chamber to fire off a front kick, side kick, or roundhouse. Beautiful!

The latter is really difficult to generate any sort of power with if you chamber to the front of the body.... but it does conceal your intentions.

Personally, I have learnt both this way and also with bringing my knee in from the side - which is more powerful but less discrete.

WNM

The latter is really difficult to generate any sort of power with if you chamber to the front of the body.... but it does conceal your intentions.

I'm really a low, and I mean low kicker, Michi. I go for the knee and the thigh, using my lower shin for the strike. I'll know I've improved in the JKD roundhouse when I can come down at a 45 degree angle.

I think that where I'm hitting doesn't require as much power as, say, to the ribs and, from what I've been introduced to so far, seems to be in combination with a punch to the face. It's like high-low, high-low, or low-high, etc.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu