• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What has surprised you most about your style?

usc96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Karate, but...

How simple it is. At the start, I learned a bunch of complex movements, and some basics. Then over time, I learned that the complex techniques didn't really exist. All there were were basic techniques. Now, some of the aspects of the basic techniques are a bit hazy as to whether they're real or not. At this rate, in a couple years, i'll just have one technique that does everything. and looks like anything.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

How long it takes before one has even a superficial grasp of the practical application of kata. How many kata we learn superficially and how little emphasis there is on knowing even one in depth.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• 1 month later...

What surprises me about Isshinryu is that, after practicing it for 27 years, I am still learning. I have dabbled in other styles of martial art in the interim, but the one I always return to is Isshinryu, and it never fails to surprise me. Everytime I think I have to look outside the box for something, I find it again in Isshinryu. A very practical, modern, and effective art, for the street, or for life.

Somthing i didnt realise till when showing my friend some kumite videos online is how much kicking is involved in karate and that a "Karate Chop" is a valid move and not a cliche.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

I was surprised to learn how much my understanding of general body mechanics has grown, and continues to grow, from learning martial arts.

Also, how even 6 years after taking my first karate class, I still love it and am still growing, learning and expanding my knowledge.

Knife hand :P or Shuto as we call it. They do make an impact

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

What has surprised me about Shindokan is...

*We use our hands much more than kicks; 85% hands and 15% feet. I thought Karate was kicking. I was just a kid when I started in Shindokan.

*I'm surprised at just how many martial arts use the word "Shindokan"!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!