• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nagashizuki - Does it actually work in real situations

Dobbersky

Fellow Karateka and Sempai and Sensei

I am honoured and grateful for you assistance and guidance, it does get frustrating at times when you get the technique "right" then you instinctively shift back to the way you're not supposed to be doing it.

The Kata etc is not an issue, I get foot positions, movements etc correct although in Ashihara the speed between the various combinations is a bit quicker, I am working on slowing it down. Its just various techniques that are "conflicting"

If I name them it may help, sometimes letting off steam is a good thing, as I was starting to think whether is was time to decide between the 2 arts and I don't really want to do that.

Fighting stance is different - Ashihara's stance is more like a boxer's stance.

Back Kick - Ashihara's back kick is more like a rear facing side kick (looking over your shoulder)

Nagashizuki - I been practicing this technique in my sleep too.

A few Ippon Gumite Techniques don't have realistic actions.

Punching - Ashihara's punching is like a Boxer/Muay Thai fighter, I consider the Hikitae etc as grappling (push/pull) as used in Judo rather than real strikes.

Round kick - Ashihara's Kick comes from the side like a Muay Thai Kick but I do like the Wado Round Kick. Also I prefer to kick with the shin not the top of the foot.

I also prefer FULL CONTACT Kyokushin based Kumite not the WKA rules sparring.

I feel better getting that off my chest lol

Hi Dobbersky,

I think that there as a big difference between learning a variety of fairly obvious techniques from other styles as opposed to understanding how to subsume the core principles behind them - often as a result of the way they are taught.

As AJ eludes to, the practice of drills in the form of Kihon is Kata. Pair work like Wado's Kihon Kumite is Kata. Chances are you group practices ippon / sanbon kumite in order to act as a way to bridge movements found in solo kata/kihon with an active partner (thus introducing additional aspects like ma-ai (distance) and sen (timing) etc. These also are a type of kata because they are drills.

They are the building blocks toward understanding and managing engagement, but not in them selves designed as self protection techniques (although done well they are very effective).

As far as the punches, back kicks and round kicks that you refer to again, don't confuse basics/kata with application.

Yes Wado does junzuki with a straight punch (as kata), but we also practice uppercuts, hooks and cross punches they are all there believe me.

No one said that Wado mawashi are "only" done with the shin/instep. That is just one way. Also most good Karate-ka will have a variety of different kicks/penetration depth ranging from Jab to full on MT style follow through.

In a nutshell, Wado with its Kata based pedagogy probably differs greatly in terms of how techniques and principles are subsumed.

I agree with what has been mentioned on other forums, in that you have a job on your hands trying to reconcile the two styles. But I am sure you are the man for the job. ;)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very much a body movement always snaking, flowing, wrapping around the attack to change the angle of counter and use the attackers movement against them.

Great believer in the bat and ball example, the attackers punch is the bat and they are aiming for your face (the ball) if at the right time you move the ball you use their commitment to hit the ball to arrive in the perfect angle and positiuon for a well placed nagashizuki.

Wado is brilliant, but then I would say that.

To answer you origional question which referred to the practical application of the technique in my experience it leaves the attacker in the pub shocked and stunned and in some pain. Purely in defence of course!

The technique works when done right, happy training.