• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Karate

50bob

Well I did it. I am 50 years old had some low back problems and surgery more than 30 years ago. I'm not in the best of shape but I started taking karate classes 2 day per week. I'm 6'1 and weighed 215 two months ago. 'Since I have started karate classes I have lost 15 lbs. wow it is a great workout and it's fun. I may never be a black belt leader but my goal is a green belt. I am feeling really good now. Never thought in a million years that I would take karate. The class I had today was hard for me to follow the younger students had no problem. I am going to stick this out I know I can do it. I may never be a black belt but my goal is to loose another 20 lbs and be more active for my age of 50 years old.

50 years old?

Plenty of time to get Shodan (Black Belt).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karate is the game to wich i love the most i am trying to improve my flying kick skills. my friends Christine Freville, Junio Solihull and Mickey Everio took part in karte game and gained distinctions all 20th April 2000.

I want to see myself on their level, specially i want to develop my flying kick skills. Please guide me in this regard and give me full detials.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bob!

Really glad to hear that you've decided to pick up the Arts no matter how old you are. I think you'll find as time goes on that there's more to karate than just the physical aspects =)

If it's any condolence to you, my grandmother, aged 66, just recieved her green belt a few weeks ago. It's never too late to start, but it's always too early to quit.

Welcome

We are the makers of music, we are the dreamers of dreams.

-Willy Wonka

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the forum, 50bob!

And as everyone else has said, age is just a number. One of the clubs I used to train at had a guy who'd taken up karate about your age. When I knew him, he was late 60s and going for his 3rd dan black belt. Admittedly, he struggled with fitness from time to time but he had some punch on him! He was the only person in the club that I actually used to be a little scared of when it came to sparring because he had so much power behind him!

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• 4 months later...

i suppose im reletively young then i started when i was 37 im now 38,when i started karate last september i weighed 15 and a half stone, now im hovering between 12.5/13 stone so ive lost 2 stone in less than a year and id like to think karate had 80% responsibility for that,i wasnt that fit when i started but now im keeping up with students half my age,and personnelly im learning thinks quicker too,like your aim im currently a green belt 6kyu,but ive not set myself a belt target its a hard road ahead but its so rewarding,like many i wish i had started 10years earlier,