• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Karate

50bob

Well I did it. I am 50 years old had some low back problems and surgery more than 30 years ago. I'm not in the best of shape but I started taking karate classes 2 day per week. I'm 6'1 and weighed 215 two months ago. 'Since I have started karate classes I have lost 15 lbs. wow it is a great workout and it's fun. I may never be a black belt leader but my goal is a green belt. I am feeling really good now. Never thought in a million years that I would take karate. The class I had today was hard for me to follow the younger students had no problem. I am going to stick this out I know I can do it. I may never be a black belt but my goal is to loose another 20 lbs and be more active for my age of 50 years old.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first instructor was 61 when she started. She is now a 5th degree black belt (20 years later).

Your goal should be to let karate transform your life - an it sounds like it is, a belt is just to hold your pants up.

Congrats my friend.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Hi Bob! Welcome to the forums! :)

Age 50? You'll be outpacing those "kids" in no time. If you're interested in how "mature" students are successful, go to:

http://www.tangsoodoworld.com

and click on the Articles tab.

There are two short articles that you might be interested in, "Age Is Just a Number" (by me) and "Black Belt at 64 Years Old" (by a woman who's a heart patient).

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Congrats on getting started at any age. Now just see where it takes you. Glad to have you here.

I too started later in life (early 40's) I charish the days in class I can keep up with and/or beat the 20 somethings while sparring or with technique. Overall I try to remember this is for me...it doesn't matter how everyone else does.

I'm always amazed at the demographics of the people who come to class; old, young, man, women, in shape or needing some work. I'm also amazed at the people you never see again after a month or two.

My only advice to you is to keep going to class.

As a white belt the green belts always seemed so good. As a green belt the red belts were so much better. Now that I'm a red belt the black belts are better still.

Keep going to class...keep getting better.

Congrats on the weight loss...What a great side effect of something you love to do!

My father just turned 69 and was a police officer his entire life. He was in the army as well, and to this day whenever he and I "get into it" he throws me to the wall or floor and I have no idea how he does it :) He is a constant reminder to never underestimate.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu