• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Article on Katana and Rapier

bushido_man96

Here is another comparison article that I found on the ARMA website: Katana vs. Rapier:

Another Fantasy Worth Considering

A very objective and well-studied approach to a comparison of these two iconical weapons. There is some good historical information in the article, as well, concerning each style of fighting, and the era that the swords were used.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read both the katana v. rapier and katana v. broadsword articles, Brian, and I have to say that the writers were as scientific about the structures of the swords as they were historically knowledgeable about their uses.

The article on the katana v. rapier sounded almost like unarmed martial artists of different height/tallness, one who perseveres at infighting, the other at longer range. When thinking of the katana v. longsword, I'm trying to keep in mind that the longsword and the broadsword are not the same. Actually, the latter article made it a point to refer to a variety in both katanas and longswords, that the variety was because of what was needed in battle.

I have a replica of a Roman short sword, sharpened, and I know that the Romans worked as a tight-knit unit, especially when they were in the tortoise formation. The sword proved superior against the Celts in the Gallic Wars, Caesar at some point referring to the longer Celtic sword getting in the way of other Celtic warriors, while the Roman short sword allowed unimpeded thrusting as well as slashing so long as the men remained in formation--which they were trained to do.

I understand that the Scottish Claymore, which is a replica that I have, was developed by the Scots to break through ever-tougher English armor. You didn't have to cut the man; you could strike his armor and break his bones. It has that "half-sword" feature so that the hilt can be reached across and a short spear be in the bearer's hands. Clever.

I do have a katana, sharpened, and the first sword I ever bought. I tell people who think of a weapon in the home for self-defense, but question having a gun, that they could easily purchase a sharp "samurai sword" online. You can't accidentally shoot a family member; the very sight of you with that thing in your hands, screaming to the intruder to get out of your house, will likely make him think you're crazy and take off; you don't have to "run him through" but poke away at him to get him moving on his way; if he tries to get to you by rashly grabbing the blade, his fingers will be so sliced that he'll be found by the police in the emergency room of the nearest hospital.

Two really good articles. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'm glad that you enjoyed them both, Joe. I like to reference that sight quite a bit, because the studies are all done by groups or individuals who have trained with the weapons, and have the experience to make logical, well-informed statements on the subject.