• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anacronistic ativities

Nothing deep here. Just a thought that struck me as odd while driving home from work the other day. We practice an activity that could be considered anacronistic at best, a very poor return on invested time at it's worst.

We train in a form of combat, unarmed, that is not relivent to combat a very high percentage of time. Once we've passed the age of about 18 years of age, the likely hood of being involved in a concentual fight is very low as well.

Basically, we do things that aren't going to be useful. It costs us a lot of money and time in order to train. But, we love it, and wouldn't stop training if we have any choice in the matter.

This isn't so much a "why we do it" thread. It's more like the strange people we have to be to love what we do. Now, back to whatever you were doing. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along :wink:

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts is unique compared to other physical activities. I mean how likely are you going to use your soccer skills, or tumbling, outside of the specific sport? I figure martial arts is one of the only physical activities that actually HAS a use outside of its arena. Also, how many adults do you know who actively participate in something that keeps them in shape?

To me, martial arts is something that anyone can participate in to actively improve themselves. Which is far better than a lot of things people spend their time and money on.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

In alot of sports, we can practice with the team but when it comes to game time, we are left out because were not the best. But karate is diffrent first of all becasue its an individual sport and an art. You learn at your own pace, and I love it :D

I'd say that is is anacronistic, to an extent. The SCA is even more so, if that makes any sense, because that organization delves into everything Medieval, ranging from combat, to the making of arms and armor, and to the making of food and the brewing of beer (hey, wait, that's still relevant...;) ).

At any rate, getting back on track, I think that to an extent, it is anacronistic, but, can be relevant, should the situation arise to utilize the skills we learn. And, like Rateh stated, after we get out of high school or college, there aren't many organized physical programs in place for adults. Essentially, we end up living for our kids, as our parents did for us, when we started sports or what not. So, the Martial Arts do give adults an outlet for physical activity.

I think that some styles also tend to be more anacronistic than others. From wearing a "traditional" uniform, to learning to weild old garden tools as weapons, or even playing in the roda to music. Others, however, do tend to be less anacronistic (I'm getting good at spelling that word now...:D ), training with modern weapons and threats, and in street clothes.

Anywho, my take on it. Good topic, ShoriKid. :)

It could be considered as such. But fist fights and unarmed attacks are prevalent enough that you can still make a case for it's usefulness if you're training for such events realistically. Like bushido man, now if you incorporate modern weapons and such you get more and more relevant with each step.

If, conversely, you training for competition, then there's nothing out of place about it. There's a comp and you're participating in practice to prepare for it. In that regard, it'd be like any other rec sport one played.

If you're into the tradition of arts for the sole purpose of keeping tradition alive, then anacronistic is good. It's the whole point of what you're doing.

So largely, it depends on why and how you're training to determine if it is or isn't relative in a modern sense.

Now, about brewing beer..... :)

I hold my degree in history, have a replica of a 16th Century Italian sword within sight right now that needs an edge to be combat worthy. The Colt 1851 Navys and 1911 Springfield in the closet I think demonstrate my knack for things either out of style or not as...up to date as others.

I enjoy my training, and I know it has value. I was also thinking about the number of highschool athletes who never do anything physical on a regular basis past graduation. What we do is a wonderful thing in many ways. It just struck me as odd and that it takes a different sort of person to fully appreciate the training, time and dedication to something that has what most people consider a very low return on investment. If I wanted to be in shape, running and weight work would be cheaper and easier.(I do those things anyway. Those 18 y/os aren't getting any slower) However, we chose to do something that isn't well understood by those not invovled. I had a lengthy debate with an individual who thought that training in the martial arts led to violence and violent life styles. He didn't understand how you could train in MA and not be a physically violent person. Others think of anything other than weapon training a waste for self defense.

Like I said before, one of those odd thoughts that drifted through my head the other day.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

They are good thoughts, too. I think we all tend to get a sideways glance when asked what our hobby is, and then we tell them. It can be hard to explain why to those that haven't expericenced it and don't understand what all goes on.

Ah, but the unintended benefits (so to speak - like pushing our boundaries and discovering our potential, self-discipline, etc.) of MA training can apply to our everyday lives, whether it be in class or on the job, thus making it relevant to the modern world.

Ed