• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My daughter starts Volleyball this month

bushido_man96

My daughter is 13, in the 8th grade, and has her first Volleyball game on September 8th. She has been really working hard in practice, having never really played before. She ran track last year, but this is her first really team sport activity. She's coming along great, but is having a bit of a time with picking up on the overhand serving. But, she'll be a setter and spiker, which should be fun to watch. She'll be on the B team, which I think is great. A team is where you like to see them, but being fresh with this, B team is a great deal for her. She's pumped, and I'm excited about the season, as well.

Does anyone else have kids in sports?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll second Patrick's good luck to your daughter, Brian. I don't know if she's your "princess" (a lot of fathers are like that with their daughters :) ), but I know you're proud of her.

Right now, at age seven, karate is my boys' "sport"; in the future, I'd like them to try wrestling. :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Awesome = Brian's daughter as well as Brian! If your daughters anything like you...she'll be great at it, no matter what the 'it' is!

My daughter, 13 years old, does Karate, but, her passion is playing the flute. Nathan is 15 years old and he plays baseball (pitcher) and basketball (utility). I'm very proud of my kids, just like Brian is of his daughter!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The first night of volleyball has come and gone, and the B team that my daughter is on went 2-1 on the night. I thought they played well, but there are still areas of improvement to be made, which is ok. She isn't too concerned about becoming an all-star volleyball player, because she enjoys track, and is looking forward to trying out basketball. But at the same time, she works hard in practice, and she'll continue to improve.

The coach did tell her that she wants her to serve underhand instead of overhand, which I don't understand. I would rather see her continue to develop that skill, as she would likely use it if she plays in high school. I have told her to continue to practice it, so that she can use it eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away a while here.

She's played in a few more quads now, and unfortunately, they haven't won any of the matches. They won a few sets here and there, and they are getting better, though. But, she's keeping a pretty good attitude throughout, and she is working hard. That's about all I can ask from her.