• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FOUND A BIT OF A PLATEAU!!!!!

Dobbersky

I've had a bit of a plateau in all the forums I'm on. I can't seem to be able to add anything to any of the threads that are being written. Has Anyone else had these time periods where no matter what you read, you can't add even the smallest piece to it in any way shape or form. I don't want to add one liners of even one word responses as this gives the author of the post dis-respect.

I hope I'm not on my own on this topic

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dobbersky,

You're not alone with this! Call it "writer's block" if you want, but, all of us experience this at one time or another.

It could be that you've plateaued due to limited skill in whatever topic/thread is being discussed. This isn't your fault because nobody knows everything about anything.

For example, when the conversation is about firearms, I've not much, if anything, to contribute to the topic/thread because of my limited skills with firearms. What I can contribute to a firearms discussion wouldn't fill a thimble. I know that I don't want to ever be shot because the bullet hurts and death is very possible. I respect firearms ALOT!

Don't try to respond to everything. If your skill is in Karate and nothing else, then, stay in that forum. Even then, you don't have to reply to everything. I don't reply to everything, because, either I've no experience with it, or the topic isn't interesting to me for whatever the reason might be.

Again, writers block or whatever one might want to call it, it happens to all of us from one time or another AND you're not alone my friend. Just let it happen and don't force it! Don't give up!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is a very interesting topic, Dobbersky. :) Thank you for creating it.

I agree with Bob, who had some good thoughts. This is natural and it happens to everyone. :) No matter what you're writing. If you're writing forum posts, articles, books, term papers, whatever... everyone hits a block.

I would say to just do what you enjoy - if you enjoy reading posts, just read. Never feel like you have to post. If you see a post you like, maybe tell that person you like it and see if you have a relatable experience or something to share that relates to their already great post.

But, it all flows naturally. :) We appreciate your contributions to the community.

Patrick

Its good just to read sometimes.

My old boss used to fall back on the old salesman's mantra of "you have two ears and one mouth and you should use them in that order".

I was going to say that as far as Forums go you have two eyes and ten fingers but that doesn't work. :-?

No matter how much you think you know, there are others that know more - and thats what great about forums like this, as students (and we are all students) we have the benefit of a global education / perspective.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I agree, as well. At times when you don't think you have anything to offer, perhaps ask a question. Who knows? It may send a topic off on another tangent, and open up new ideas and thoughts.

I've had days where I don't post much, either. I have others when I have an opinion on everything. Even if I have no experience, I may add a thought, and see how on or off I am. Its all good, in the end.

Another thought is to not be afraid to venture down to these General Discussion forums. Even though we all have some interest or another in Martial Arts, we likely all do other things for fun, and have other aspects of our lives that we can ask about and discuss. This gives us a great outlet to leave our MAs behind, and to just go on about life in general. Ah, this gives me an idea.... :)

Great advice, everyone. :)

I've had days where I don't post much, either.

WHEN?!

:lol: Just kidding. :)

Another thought is to not be afraid to venture down to these General Discussion forums. Even though we all have some interest or another in Martial Arts, we likely all do other things for fun, and have other aspects of our lives that we can ask about and discuss. This gives us a great outlet to leave our MAs behind, and to just go on about life in general. Ah, this gives me an idea.... :)

Great tip, I really agree. The foundation of the community is the martial arts, but that doesn't mean we can't share other things in our lives or other interests that we have.

Thanks,

Patrick