• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Pads

beagstkd

I've been taking shots to my knees lately while sparring and was wondering if anyone uses knee pads and if so which ones they think are the best. I don't want big and bulky, I was hoping to find a pair that are light and mobile for just a little extra protection.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks, there is some great stuff out there. My knees are bad anyway and a good knee pad is probably worth the money in the long run.

Is anyone using a knee pad/shin pad combo?

How well can you move?

I don't use a combo. Every model I've ever tried moved around too much and protected neither well.

Right now, I use the Combat Sports knee pads when I'm striking along with a set of Top Contender shin gear. I think they are sold as the "grappling" or "mma" set. Either way, they have enough padding for striking and attach to a neoprene sleeve that wraps the entire calf. This holds them in place better than anything else I've seen.

• 3 months later...

For the shin pad portion, I'd recommend considering something that also has a shinstep protection as well. Not so much for the padding there, as your foot gear should take care of that, but because the instep portion seems to help the shin pad stay on properly. It seems like a lot of shin pads slide off to the side too easily while sparring....or at least that's been my experience with the ones myself and some of the others at my school have tried.

• 2 weeks later...