• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi Sizes?

Luvshak

Well I have decided to order my new and FIRST ever Gi. But my problem is I don't understand the sizes they are in, so I was hopeing you guys could help me out a bit. I am 5 Foot 8, and weigh about 175lbs if thats any help.

Thanks in advance.

"Wisdom.....Knowledge.....Discipline"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on if you get 100% cotton or not. Cotton will shrink, so you might get it a size bigger. If isn't all cotton, then you should be fine.

I would guess at a either a size 4 or a size 5 but make sure you double check either by trying it on or if buying online taking a look at a sizing chart. In most cases they base the sizes on height and you want to go for the one that is just bigger than your own height to allow for shrinkage etc. Sizes can differ between brands so its definitely worthwhile checking; I take a 5 dobok in most brands but my Sasung TKD dobok is a size 7!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Luvshak

You're about the same height and weight as me (Im about 1 inch taller), and I wear a 4.5 or 5.5 gi dependent on the manufacturer. The 'size' number varies, but they generally all supply a height in cm so go with that.

If you can get a half size (175cm) go with that or just go up to a 180cm. Its always better to go a little bigger and where you'll notice it most will likely be in the arms or legs which can be altered or at worst you can just turn them up.

Hope you find a good fit

I am also about the same size and wear a 5. You could also go to an online store and select the uniform you are interested in because some sites gives you a sizing chart for your height, weight and waste size.

Thanks for all of the help, I decided to go for a size 4 (170) and its nearly perfect, the top is a little bit big but its 100% cotton so Im guessing it will shrink a bit, if it doesnt then it aint so bad, just be a bit more comfy than I was expecting :lol:

Thanks again.

Oh and another thing, is there any specific ways I should wash it and dry it to avoid it shrinking too much?

Thanks

"Wisdom.....Knowledge.....Discipline"