• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got done with the exhibition grappling bout I had this weekend and thought I'd fill everyone in.

I drew a good wrestler with mma experience right off the bat who had about 10 lbs on me. Big weight divisions, what can I say. I knew I didn't want to wrestle him so I pulled guard first chance I got after tying up.

After that, I really felt good about my control. I worked for alot of submissions and was pretty smart about letting go of stuff I didn't have and flowing into something else. I never did feel like he was going to pass my guard so I kept working from there.

I had a nice armbar set up a couple of times and a deep choke that he got free of. I also started to set up a high guard twice, but got stuffed early by him putting his shoulder back in well.

We went to the end of the period 0-0, I had hoped that I had gotten submission "attempt" points on the choke. We went to OT which I found out was only a minute. He hit the takedown and I pulled guard to defend. After that, he pressured down on my biceps and held me there for the remainder.

He took it 2-0.

I ended up walking away pretty happy though. Points aside, I really felt that I pushed the progression of the fight and was always working forward. I also used alot more stuff than I have previously and flowed way better.

I'm pretty happy with the progression of my ground game over the past 6 months or so. Definitely moving in the right direction. I did walk away with some things to work on.

For instance, I really want to work transitions to open guard. In retrospect, I should have probably went for it to shake things up and look for a sweep. I also think my high guard has potential, but I need more reps.

So, it's always better to walk away with a win. But for a loss, I felt good. And I got some good feedback as well as some stuff to work on. Back to the drawing board.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good job.

OT is always tough because of the extreme advantage wrestlers have with takedown points. Especially since many do not allow you to simply avoid the standing section.

Sounds like you just need to shore up your guard submissions.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks. Not to say I wasn't a bit groused by being the aggressor and still loosing, but there were enough positives that I could move on.

My guard game has always been pretty solid from a closed position. This guy just postured real well and kept good base. Not to say that you can't always improve anywhere.

Thanks guys.

Congrats on the preformance Tallgeese. Sounds like things are coming along for you. Facing a good wrestler can be frustrating at times. Unless your very solid up right, they WILL get the take down and land in good position. And, as you said, most will have good posture and base to work from.

Out of curiosity, what rules system were you competing under? I know there is a pretty uniform set of sport BJJ rules, NAGA or was it a different organization?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The tourney was no-gi so the rules were basically a variation of the NAGA rules for the same.

I've competed under the NAGA rules before, so i had the idea. This particular set up was a bit less elaborate and factored in few scoring opportunities for good tactical position. For instance, there wereno points awarded for sweeps. So, there were some deviations. But mainly it was based around NAGA.

The tourney was no-gi so the rules were basically a variation of the NAGA rules for the same.

I've competed under the NAGA rules before, so i had the idea. This particular set up was a bit less elaborate and factored in few scoring opportunities for good tactical position. For instance, there wereno points awarded for sweeps. So, there were some deviations. But mainly it was based around NAGA.

No points for sweeps? That's really strange. Doesn't really follow with the whole idea of grappling.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."