• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3rd Dan test

Have just handed in my application form for my 3rd dan test. Pre-grading is a week on Sunday and if all goes well I should test in about a month or two. Haven't been on this side of the table for a while so I hope I don't get too nervous.

Will have to break at the testing and its usual for the candidates to do their standard breaks plus a more interesting break. A lot of people go for jump breaks or speed breaks but I was thinking of going down the power route and trying out something different on bricks or tiles. Anyone got ideas of "special" techniques I could do that doesn't involve jumping? Maybe something you guys have tried in the past?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know for a recent 3rd degree test in our school, the student performed a blind jump spin back kick.

You may not want jump kicks, but a couple of blind techniques might be cool.

It also might be interesting to try a separated board break. Like set up for a spin hook kick with 2 boards, each 6 or so inches apart and break them both on the same kick. This would make it so only one person would hold each board, which would also make it more challenging. (Never seen this, nor have I done much breaking so I don't know if it would work.)

Good luck!

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Thanks guys. Been cramming theory stuff all weekend.. I probably should have started looking at it all earlier :roll: .

I never seen black belts use anything else than wood. Seen a lot of flying front kicks in 3 different directions.

The "special" break we do is really just a chance to show off to the examiners and people watching. My instructor and the examiners know that we can all do standard board breaks otherwise we wouldn't be asked to test. So lots of people use bricks.. I've seen people do breeze blocks in the past. I did ask if I could use ice (as a joke) and got told I'd have to be the one to clear it up and carry it down two flights of stairs. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't have any real breaking experience so I can't really help you out on that front. But, good luck and keep us posted.

One power demonstration I respect: get some good 300x300x~18mm pine boards, then break 2 or 3 with a reverse punch while they're suspended from an assistant's fingertips without spacers. It requires good focus and power. Don't hurt yourself though! Best of luck with the grading.

Cheers,

Tony