• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone ever heard of Gerald Durant?

BlueDragon1981

Whatever.

I know of other masters who do not have concreate proof that they are real. Yet they don't get disputed. You can say what you wish about Durant. The style speaks for itself. It works. I know because a number of test have been done. So you say what you wish about Durant. He ovasiously knew something because the style is a very good one. If you are going to Judge all the stylists on what you think you know then that is your opinion. I know what I know and what I have seen in person about the style. So just leave it at that. I have all the proof I need in the style. As for Durant Im not going to argue about him anymore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:-? I haven't had much luck in getting some facts. Bluedragon1981, or ANYBODY for that matter, I ask:

What about a style of karate "Goshin Jutsu" anywhere in Japan - Where are the Japanese dojos that teach "Goshin Jutsu" as a style, WHO taught Durant a style called "Goshin Jutsu," and when was he in Japan? If he used a mix-match deal in creating his goshin jutsu, what dan rankings did he have in what styles and from where and who? There is, I believe, a Kodokan Judo kata named "Goshin Jutsu" - it is a self defense technique kata, hence the name. (Goshin Jutsu is a generic term for self defense, so I use it as my handle, not as a Durant Goshin Jutsu person) Depending on which master I ask, some say Durant grew up in Japan (french dad, japanese mom), some say he jumped ship while in the merchant marine, some say he was there during the occupation, but as far as I can tell he was just a paratrooper in the European theater, and both his parents were from North America, he was born in the U.S. (obituaries rarely get that wrong), and not Japanese at all. The alternating american to fake Japanese accent on the video is real weird) Since ALL styles of Japanese Karate have roots in Okinawa, what school of Okinawan martial arts does "Goshin Jutsu" trace to? This would tell us if it were from Shuri-te, Naha-te, or Tomari-te, as Mr. Allgeier asks. I have asked BlueDragon1981 and many goshin folks this as well. No answers - just stuff like "huh?", "All I can tell you is that Durant was the Master," "It's a hybrid system," or "Go away,". Just very very basic karate history stuff. If a guy uses questionable grammar in the name of his school, I have to admit it certainly raises suspicion about authenticity. Not to mention it looks like a rip-off of the Goju-ryu fist. I would think that someone who is said to have trained and lived in Japan would at least get the grammar on their patch right. Do that math about the dates we read about. It really does not add up if you do the checking yourself rather than hear it from someone else. Above all, finding out who he studied with in Japan and where all the "Goshin Jutsu" style schools in Japan would be awesome. We are talking about an American here. We are not talking about other 'masters,' we are talking about Jerry Durant. Karate largely became cross cultural during the occupation. It should not be that difficult to find out where a service man trained since many began after the war. But then again, Durant liked to tell some people he grew up in Japan, went to Canada then the U.S., joined the U.S. armed forces (taught 'combat judo' at Fort Bragg. Fort Bragging is more like it). Oh, and all of this as someone who was born in Japan. It seems like trying to get a goshinist to question anything about Durant's history and legitimacy is like being an atheist trying to get the Pope to question God. The more I think about it, the fishier it gets. Can anyone explain the questions posed by myself and Ken?

BlueDragon1981: this is not about whether the technique you practice is effective or not, it is about Jerry Durant's legitimacy. I wonder why you have not answered any of Allgeier's questions. I strongly recommend you see that video. What do you think of a Goshin Jutsu master like McClafferty who realized that Durant was most likely a phoney? Does that not phase you at all? Anyways, can anyone explain any of the descrepancies surrounding Durant? These questions are so reasonable that I almost find it humourus that people with lineage to Durant can't answer them. I also find it bothersome and sad. Cheerio. Richard.

Suddenly I realize

That if I stepped out of my body I would break

Into blossom.

- James Wright

• 1 month later...

Someone has made the effort to verify Durant's claim that he received a Dan ranking from the Osaka Kodokan in the 1930's. This claim is still being passed on by his followers as 'fact' via word of mouth and on web pages such as:

http://user.mc.net/~hugh/Durant.htm

The following is an email response from the Kodokan regarding Durant's claim to have received a Dan ranking from the Osaka Kodokan in the 1930's. Kindest Regards, Richard.

Subject: Re: Gerald Durant

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:59:39 +0900

To: <ToddRPierce@netscape.net>

« Previous | Next »

Dear Mr. Todd Pierce,

In accordance with the information given by you, we have been investigating about Mr. Gerald Durant, however, we could not find any data of his at all.

He is not registered in our record as a member neither with "Gerald",

"Gerard" nor "Jerry". Consequently, he is not possibly being the Kodokan

Dan holder.

Additionally for your information, the Osaka Kodokan was not existing in

1930's.

We have no more idea to research about him.

Best regards,

Yuko F u k u s h i m a

International Department

Kodokan Judo Institute

----- Original Message -----

To: <intl@kodokan.org>

Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 12:48 PM

Subject: Gerald Durant

> Hello Yuko Fukushima (Ms.)

> Some time has passed, and I just wanted to follow up and ask if you have

found any record of Gerald Durant (American), born 2-23-22, obtaining a dan

ranking while studying at the Osaka Kodokan in the 1930's. Have you found

anything yet? Thank you for your time.

> Sincerely,

> Todd Pierce

Suddenly I realize

That if I stepped out of my body I would break

Into blossom.

- James Wright

• 8 months later...

I have nothing personal against this guy. I never met him.

The probelm is that neither has the Kuniba family who he claimed to have trained with.

Eventually, the stories of training with Shogo Kuniba were dropped by his descendents, but they do resurface from time to time.

This guy was a liar and a fraud.

From what I have seen in his students here in PA, the "karate" that he taught was extremely weak.

Some of these guys may have picked up some legit training somewhere along the way. But Durant did not. He has never held any rank or titles in a legit karate oragnization.

Some claim he had a 5th Dan from the Seishin Kai, with the certificate signed by Richard Baillargeon. This certifcate is a forgery.