• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shuto Uke/Uchi

moobrack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Moobrack

I'm not quite sure if I follow you, but I'll give it a go.

Shuto Uke is a block using the side of the hand (called shuto in japanese). It can be effective as a parry technique.

Shuto Uchi is a strike usually against the neck using the side of the hand. It can be performed in many ways, usually like the shuto uke, or with a swinging arm technique.

Hope this helps

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Thanx Tobias for all of yoUR HELP. oh god I pressed caps lock again.I really appreciate it.

See ya.

Anthony Bullock

Student

1st Kyu

karate international black belt schools (UK)

esteem thy precious time in training for the unexpected!

This Message was edited by: moobrack on Aug 11, 2001 4:52am

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

• 1 year later...

i'm curious as to the offensive applications of:

gedan burai

i can already think of one for gedan uke

chude(or chuge?) uke

uchi uke (the inside outisde hooking block)

soto uke

jodan age uke

maybe some of the jutsu students can help me out

Just something to keep in mind when discussing any "uke". The kanji for "uke" doesn't mean to block, it simply means to receive. Therefore, it is more of a question of layers of complexity. Sure, in a kata, it looks like a simple block, but the odds are, its probably something else...

Anyway, to answer your question directly, one use for a vertical shuto (not bending the wrist), but can also be used while bending the wrist, is in response to a punch. When the person punches, shuto to the inside of the person's upper arm to jam the punch. Done properly, this will aim for a muscle separation (I think its the biceps, I really need to brush up on my terminology...) that is pretty painful and easy to do. Most people do not think of "protecting" the bicep while punching, as it is not a standard target and if done forcefully, can even disable use of the arm and at the least set you up for an attack on him. You can do this with either hand, depending on how you want to follow through. This attack usually requires you to close in or at least prevents you from maintaining your original distance, so if you aren't comfortable doing that, this may not be the technique for you.

Hope this helps.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/