• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Multiple Martial Arts? Recommended?

Luvshak

Just wondering, would you guys recommend practicing multiple martial arts? or should we all just stick to one?

The reason I ask, is because just last week I started Shotokan, but now my father in law (who is a 2nd dan black belt in Goju Ryu) is starting up his training again (dont have a clue why he stopped in first place), and I have the time available to me to go to that aswell as Shotokan. So I was just wondering, would you guys stick to just Shotokan, or should I do both?

Cheers.

"Wisdom.....Knowledge.....Discipline"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it really depends on your level. When I hit 2nd Dan I started taking Uechi-Ryu and Tae Kwon Do at the same time in addition to teaching Shorin-Ryu.

I learned a lot of things that I found useful as universal teaching tools, not to mention picking up on some katas.

THough I agree - If you want to learn an art...stick to one. If you want to an enhance an art you already know look into the others - but dont fool yourself into thinking you could ever treat them both as arts at the same time, near impossible.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

It's also possible that you would like the Goju better - feel free to check it out, but don't think that you will do both and be bettered by it. When I was trying to train two arts, I spent more time retraining my basic stancework back and forth than I did learning, so it was a complete waste of time.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'd say it depends on what your current experience level is. If you're already at least a shodan in Goju and have a decent foundation, then training in Shotokan as well will certainly be feasible. If you're still fairly new to both, though, I would choose the one you like the most and stick with it until you reach dan level before looking at branching out.

I'll take the dissenting opinion on this one. Check out the Goju, if you like it and have the time do it as well. I'm a fan of cross training and you'll learn alot of softer, more circular concepts in Goju that might compliment your shotokan well.

Here's the thing, when you're training at the respective schools keep them seperate for now. That will help you keep each system straight and you'll avoid irritating the respective instructors.

As you progress in both, you'll start blending for your own personal response pattern. By then, you'll have been around long enough that this sort of individuality will be expected.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yeah I think I might stick with just Shotokan for the time being, atleast till I get used to what Im doing, and then possibly go to Goju at a later date.

"Wisdom.....Knowledge.....Discipline"

I think cross training once you feel like you have a very solid grasp on the basics, in such a way that training in another similar system wouldn't delay your progress or destroy the foundation you've already laid, is a perfectly good idea. This is especially true if the two arts are similar, like Goju and Shotokan.

Now, if you are already taking Shotokan and want to take Judo for instance, I think it's acceptable at nearly any level as long as you can concentrate on both, and neither distracts you from the other.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If it was me, I would take the Shotokan and stick with it. But I would probably take Kendo and Aikido as well. It is a triligy that you can't go wrong with and you learn all the things other say you need to cross train for. Me personally, I am Total Against cross training. But I'm am for learning the triligy of arts that compliment you as a whole - making you the true samurai...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/