taekwon do reality factor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well gentlemen we dont have to take it to kicking people in the teeth..just to educate them what taekwon do is..."its not just that korean karate that was allowed into the olympics" :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

On 2002-07-22 22:15, taezee wrote:

well gentlemen we dont have to take it to kicking people in the teeth..just to educate them what taekwon do is..."its not just that korean karate that was allowed into the olympics" :up:

your right, they dont punch as well, or have as decent form. :wink: they just kick alot and dont understand the stances properly.....

im sorry you miss understood in quoting me..as far as not punching well and not understanding stances please in youre vast knowledge of taekwondo explain what you mean?? :roll:

Javier l Rosario

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Actually Zakiru might be onto something...

Some questions you might like to ask, not specifically directed at TKD:

- Does your stance leave you wide open to a groin kick? Care to test it?

- Do you practise close range techniques like elbows and knees?

- Are you prepared if someone grabs your arm, your kick, or your clothing? If they then try to throw you? Are you prepared to do likewise to them?

- Do you know the best striking points to damage your opponent? Or just the head and the big round dot, and how many points they're worth?

- Have you practised striking a suitably padded target full force? Or only ever punched air?

Without these, I doubt you'd have effective self defense in a real situation. There is more...

KarateForums.com - Sempai

so all of the above ?? are you implying that taekwondo doesnt do any of these?? thats what i think you are implying..and if so you are another one who knows nothing about taekwondo but will state a whole list of things as above as facts..im really getting bored here.. :roll:

Javier l Rosario

horse stance, cat stance, backstance (your guys call it an L stance?) front stance espicially are all directly from shotokan karate.

The weight distrobution and feet postiioning is slaughtered!~~!! in 9/10 tkd competitiors.

Look at the TKD passai, (or the TSD passai for that matteR) then look at a sh ito or shotokan bassai. I know and train with enough tkd competitors (i live in a town with 1 karate dojo for ever 7 tkd dojangs ranging from olympic sparring nonstop, to ITF and TSD) I feel qualified to state that I know that most of you guys dont do the stances right, or have decent draw hands/elbows for that matter :wink:

not trying to be disrespectful but i know tsd/WTF guys who come to japanese dojos to learn the kata(or is it poom se?) properly.

- "are you implying that taekwondo doesnt do any of these?? "

Sigh... No Taezee. In fact, as you state, I don't really know much about TKD. My questions are general questions you can ask of any striking art. I'm trying to suggest some criteria whereby you can decide for yourself whether your school is oriented towards sport or self defense. The specific style is really irrelevant. I'm hoping others could contribute more. This would actually give people something concrete to think about, rather than mindlessly bashing "style X" or "style Y".

KarateForums.com - Sempai