• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking up another MA(?)

conrad665

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this is an old thread, but in the hopes that someone is still reading...

I wouldn't advise taking another striking style while still learning the ropes of Shotokan but....I saw you mention Aikido. Aikido will not conflict at all with what you are learning in Shotokan and might enhance and deepen it.

My gut reaction is to recommend, as it seems you have already decided to do, to stick with one art for awhile. However, if the bug to cross train bites you again, it has been my experience that training in Aikido and a striking style at the same time produces a nice complimentary experience...

Just my $.02...

"Mo ichi do!"--Morio Higaonna

So I'm just re-starting Isshinryu and I'm considering maybe trying out Judo as a fun activity to do with my little sisters (they can't do Isshinryu with me because the adult class there is for 18 and up whereas the "adult" class in Judo is 10 and up). Would that be a good combination?

I think it would be very unwise for you to start training in a different art at this early stage of your career. You'll only end up confused and you may end up getting so down that you end up quitting altogether. Stick with the Shotokan at least until you reach black belt before branching out into other arts. What you learn on this part of your journey will make it easier for you to study another art when you are ready. Focus on one thing at a time and give it your all. You don't want to be a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Find me at my blog http://urbansamurai.org.uk