• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking up another MA(?)

conrad665

Hi,

I'm a yellow belt Shotokan Karate student and I want to start doing another MA(Shorin-Ryu Karate or Taekwon-do) together with Shotokan.Do you think it could work? May it result in confusion or fatigue?Should I start a second MA after becoming a professional in Shotokan?I'll be glad if you answer my questions.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, it will cause confusion; yes, it will slow down your progress, particularly if done at the yellow belt level.

After you've internalized your core martial art, whatever that is, then go ahead and branch out - but focus first on gaining skills you do not already have.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'm with JZ. At your level you need to concentrate on one art. Besides, I can't see the benefit of training in two karate styles at once. Shotokan and Shorin-ryu are going to be more similar than they are different. The subtle differences between the two will just get you confused. TKD, on the other hand, has a lot of similarities to Shotokan but the terminology is completely different of course. If you really want to cross train, I would suggest training in a grappling art like Jujitsu. That would add an extra dimension to your karate without getting you too confused. But, again, I would not even do that as a yellow belt. You still have a lot to learn in Shotokan before you need to start branching out.

I'm not sure what position in the levels below dan yellow belt is, Conrad, but I'm a green belt in Soo Bahk Do, which is a striking art. There are three green belt levels: 6th, 5th, and 4th gup.

When I was a 6th gup, I took a number of self-defense JuJitsu classes, the differences between the two arts causing me no confusion. As a 5th gup, I've started taking Jeet Kune Do while continuing Soo Bahk Do. There is very little terminology in JKD, no forms to learn and practice (it's really all technique from what I've encountered in the five classes I've taken so far), or one-step sparring exercises that would cause confusion with SBD. I don't know that I'm interested in going to 4th gup, certainly not now while I'm enjoying the Jeet Kune Do techniques which aren't as time-demanding as Soo Bahk Do, allowing me to work to become proficient in both.

I've advocated in the past that someone should first reach dan level before taking up a second martial art, but I've experienced that something so different (one of the postings referred to grappling; I've specifically referred to self-defense training and a techniques-based MA) that you won't confuse the two is doable. However, I didn't start until I'd hit the halfway mark in belt levels below dan.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Why specifically Shorin-Ryu or Tae Kwon Do? Is it because those two are just available to you or do you genuinely have some interest in learning one of the two? Do you not like Shotokan or do you simply want to learn some techniques from one of those other two? Once you can determine why you want to study another art, it will be beneficial to you.

I'll go with the opinion of giving it a whirl if you've got the interest and time. Keep them separate in each respective class and you'll be fine. That means no "in TKD we do it this way...." statements.

The key is interest. Don't cross train just to cross train. Look at your goals and see where you want to go. Pick arts and schools that will help you with those goals. For instance, if you want do train in more ranges of fighting, perhaps two hard striking arts won't get you there. If you want softer movements, then two hard styles might not be the thing, ect.

Now, if you want to really look at those combinations of arts, defiantly do it. Just make sure that it's getting you to your goal.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I'm with tg again here. If you want to give it a go, then do. I think that even having an interest in checking something else out is a good enough reason. You may learn some different concepts in the different schools, and you can apply them accordingly. If you begin to feel overwhelmed, then back down to just one art. Just do what you can.

Hello again;

Thank you very much for your advices and sorry for answering late.I decided to wait till I become a black belt in Shotokan. Actually,the reason of my intention to start a new MA is a little embarrassing; I didn't know a lot about MA when I first started and after I did some research, I found out the differences between them. I'm not good at punching,so I wanted to start a MA that requires less punch than Shotokan. On the other hand, I didn't want my effort I put into Sh.to be in vain.But I see that doing two MA simultaneously won't work,so I'll try to develop my skills in Sh.as much as possible.

Thanks again!

(I attend the class in my university,so there aren't so many alternatives for me except Tae Kwon Do,Aikido and Shotokan.)

Glad to hear you finally decided on which one you want to stick with. I guarantee here in a year or two you're going to be punching much better than you are now and will barely remember your problems with it. It also gives you something to work on: getting your punch technique down. By focusing on one thing at a time, your whole skill overall will improve. It may only be one step, but each time you take a step you get that much closer to where you want to go.

If you quit Shotokan in favour of something else what you've learnt and experienced wouldn't be a total waste. You're still going to be able to apply some of the methods and ideas to other styles and the physical benefits of training your body will help whatever you decide to do. If you really would prefer to do something else don't force yourself to stick with it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius