• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Torite

For Karateka Torite is escaping.

What do you do in order to teach your students escape techniques? Not just an attack and then run to escape the opponent, but escaping from a grab, etc.

When do you start teaching your own students about these techniques? I've seen a few dojos where they begin teaching it right away and others that do not. What are your thoughts on this?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A couple of basic escapes right away. More intricate ones on occasion for anyone as part of a technique related to it. We have the advantage that we view "advanced" techniques as just being different combinations of the components of basic techniques; that 'advanced' technique is just a basic technique performed at an unusual angle, usually.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'm glad you mentioned this, Cathal. I'm working on a new form, Chil Sung Il Ro Hyung, and the very first move, which I guessed wrong at (but at least I'd tried to figure out), is actually an escape from a rear grab. My teacher showed it to me for just a minute as class had to start, and it's not just an escape but has a takedown connected to it (which I had figured out, but didn't realize that one move led into the other). She did it quickly but, as I said, we just had a minute, and I'd like to ask her about it again. It's tricky to connect the two; the "new" escape from the rear grab is different from what I know from the past, which leads to strikes, not a takedown.

This week, the dojang is closed for a summer break, but next week it'll be reopened. Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think they should be taught, from simple to more complex, right away. Also, they should never be taught in a vacuum. Each should be part of a longer string that a) reinforces principle, and b) provides a complete response to a given situation.

Not to mention that when dealing with ground work, escapes are often a critical component and probably the most drilled tactics for cross training.

In Hapkido, we do more of it than we do in TKD. Whether from a wrist grab, or a shoulder grab, or a nelson or bear hug. We usually respond with strikes first, trying to break the hold down a bit, and then procede with a manipulation to get free, and then a finish.

Basically...

What do you do in order to teach your students escape techniques?

I grab them...and I don't let go! It's just that simple. While there's much to Torite, therefore, the self-defense aspect isn't ignored, but, there's no need to confuse any student embarking at its onset.

When do you start teaching your own students about these techniques?

Immediate! Day one! Right away! No better time than the present! Tomorrow is too late! While the instructor's waiting for "the appropriate/right time" to train their students; the attacker is training RIGHT NOW!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This week, the dojang is closed for a summer break, but next week it'll be reopened. Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

Sure enough, we did the first move, an escape from a rear bear hug, and flowed into the second move, a takedown, which is what you do when you do escape. (I remember a sensei who said that it's common for a student to perform an action, but then not know what to do afterwards.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

We have 4 categories of responses:

- standard release (just release and move)

- attack release (hit the person first then release the grasp)

- release attack (release from the grasp or stop them from grabbing you in the first place and then hit them, can include takedowns)

- break release (manipulate the other person so that you can put them into a lock or are in a position to break a joint, can include takedowns)

As part of proceudure everytime you are free we make students move out of the way and form a guard as if they were sparring so that if the attacker came again they are in a position to defend. These categories of reponses aren't mutally exclusive either and some responses can fit into more than one or are a combination of them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

I like to mix it up and teach a little of this, and a little of that..one night fairly basic techniques to the entire class, regardless of rank..and the next night brown/black belt level techniques.

What I've found in 30+ years of teaching classes is that beginners, although not as pretty and precise in the movements, can nomally handle the harder techniques just fine. Understanding them fully--well, that takes practice and experience.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

What I've found in 30+ years of teaching classes is that beginners, although not as pretty and precise in the movements, can nomally handle the harder techniques just fine. Understanding them fully--well, that takes practice and experience.

I think that this is an important note. Its good to let lower ranks get exposed to these things early on, so that they can see what some of the options out there are, and how they apply. I think that too often rank gets in the way of learning, and there is a perception of what can and cannot be taught at specific ranks. This is a hinderance, and it would be nice to see that it was avoided more often.