• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shodan: Good enough for teaching?

Hello. I am looking into learning akido and had a question about the instructor.

I have never met the guy nor do I have any experience with aikido. I know that in order to be a shodan, you must know and, I guess, master all the previous levels. He has been practicing since 2000...

So I guess 2 questions: is 9 years long enough to gain shodan in aikido, and if it is, is it enough to begin teaching if he is the only aikido instructor at this dojo? Jiu-jitsu and judo are also taught there by different instructors. One is nidan and the other is also shodan.

Thanks. Oh and it's "AIKIDO MOCHIZUKI" if that makes a difference.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You'll get varying degrees of answers on this one, but as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't rule the dojo out until you have viewed any of the classes the shodan teaches. Many will say that no, not as a shodan. But, the person may have a good grasp of the material, and have a good teaching method. If he does, then there isn't any reason to give them a shot.

No, you cannot begin to teach until 84th degree black belt when you have learned the secret fly beats mountain over octopus technique and you have mastered the art of perfection of mind and body!

Seriously, their teacher likely told them that they should start teaching on the side while they work on their technique and form. If their teacher is not available, you take what you can get. They might be a good teacher, for now. Go ahead and ask about their training and how they came to be teaching.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Seriously, their teacher likely told them that they should start teaching on the side while they work on their technique and form

I was thinking it might be something like that because 2 of the instructors were at another school in the area. As for the aikido guy, not sure where he came from as aikido has not been available in my town.

I'm not too worried about the fact that he is not higher than shodan, it's that he's only been doing martial arts for 9 years and the other 2 have 30+ years of experience even though they are also at the lower end of the black belt spectrum...However, as you said Bushido, he might be a great teacher and have the necessary knowledge up to his skill level.

I'm not too worried about the fact that he is not higher than shodan, it's that he's only been doing martial arts for 9 years and the other 2 have 30+ years of experience even though they are also at the lower end of the black belt spectrum...However, as you said Bushido, he might be a great teacher and have the necessary knowledge up to his skill level.

My deal here is that these guys have to start somewhere, and have to get that experience from somewhere, so I don't have a problem in working with someone who doesn't have as much experience as others do. One can only become great one day at a time. Who knows? You may end up becoming a part of something special.

The name of the rank is insignificant. He's been training Aikido for 9 years. That's exactly 9 years longer than you. If someone had been in college for 9 years, you'd probably be calling them Doctor or Attorney. Many Karate Nidan and Sandan students only have about that same about of time training.

My point is that his knowledge base should be more than enough to keep you challenged. You may see him grow or change some things as you practice through the years. But those changes will be for the best. Enjoy your training.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with ps1

I just started training at an Aikido school, and although the instructor is a sandan, he's a very young guy. While this made me nervous at first, after observing him teach a class and taking a trial class for myself, I knew I had nothing to worry about. If the instructor knows their stuff then you can't go wrong, regardless of rank.

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

ps1 is on the mark I think.

Go in and check it out, wee what his classes are like and if they would fit your learning style.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice. I may have hit a snag in getting off the ground with this but if I am able to do it, I will remember to go into it not focused on the instructor's level or years of experience.

Like most of you said, if he is a good teacher and knows his stuff then not much else matters.

Thanks for the advice. I may have hit a snag in getting off the ground with this but if I am able to do it, I will remember to go into it not focused on the instructor's level or years of experience.

Like most of you said, if he is a good teacher and knows his stuff then not much else matters.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."