• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference between jiu jitsu and BJJ?

First off people saying bjj is useless when fighting more than one person is dead wrong. Y do you think this when all most of anyone has seen of the art is on mma. I take tang soo do if you seen me on a mma show you would say the same thing. Y because you don't fight more than one opponent at a time in a sporting event. So unless you personal take bjj I don't think any of us really have a understanding of what we are saying. Also lets think on what in a real fight agents more than one opponent are going to do kick knees eye gouge and keep one person between us and multiple attackers as not to get surrounded last i checked bjj guys do the same thing. so here we have a long heated debate and the bottom line we all are artist we all chose different ma for a reason thay suted us. so who are we to say one style is useless at one thing when most of us saying this about that art have had no exp in it. First off bjj is a great complete art that has been tested and proven over and over agean. is it the best art NO not any art is better than the other just difrent in approach and beliefes .

Nicely put!

I strongly agree and would like to add that we can all talk about how this MA is like this or this MA does this but even within a MA there are different ways of it being taught. My sensei has trained in 2 of the three different organizations in my martial art(ninpo taijutsu) and they each teach the techniques differently and they both cover groundfighting, grappling, throwing, weapon, striking, and so on and I think that in every MA you will find that they encompass most of these things as well, they just have different approaches to them :karate:

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

• 5 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I study JJJ. I am a noob but for me we learn the art of the take down (Judo), the art of locks (Aikido) and the art of wrestling to submit/choke/pin (JJ).

The reason we study ground work is in case we get taken to the ground, but our objective is to get off the ground as quick as possible (or finish it on the ground if that is the needed tactical play call)

BJJ'rs prob have a much better ground game, etc. JJJ'rs have their own advantages and the versatility provides options. In a real world conflict, I don't think a JJJ or BJJ'er would go strictly into sport mode, I am certain, knees, punches, elbows or anything else that can be used would be in combination

I don't think either style should serve a student as a stand alone method of MA.

Always learning.....class is always in session

• 2 years later...

I am a budoshin jujitsu student, and have been so for 18 months. I can tell you that we do spar, both ground work for grappling and submissions. We also do Randori, which is stand up grappling. we have to get our opponent to the ground with a technique then within 10 seconds establish control and dominance. Also we practice blunt object defense, knife attack defense. Defense from multiple attackers.

our throws are in defense to modern day attacks. If someone hooks, throws a cross, a straight punch or kick, we defend against it, and take em down. Granted we dont have nearly as many hours of ground work as BJJ, but we dont want to focus on the ground work. We want, to throw our opponent to the ground, break em, then get ready to face another attacker if there is one. Just my 2 cents.

I am a budoshin jujitsu student, and have been so for 18 months. I can tell you that we do spar, both ground work for grappling and submissions. We also do Randori, which is stand up grappling. we have to get our opponent to the ground with a technique then within 10 seconds establish control and dominance. Also we practice blunt object defense, knife attack defense. Defense from multiple attackers.

our throws are in defense to modern day attacks. If someone hooks, throws a cross, a straight punch or kick, we defend against it, and take em down. Granted we dont have nearly as many hours of ground work as BJJ, but we dont want to focus on the ground work. We want, to throw our opponent to the ground, break em, then get ready to face another attacker if there is one. Just my 2 cents.

First of all, Welcome to KF. Glad to have you!!

Imho, that was a good 2 cents worth; solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm a karateka, but I've followed MMA since before UFC1. What has happened is that the Gracies learned a system, improved it, and proved that AT THE TIME, it was one of the most effective systems and "the only MA that was needed". As a matter of fact, Royce was not even close to the best at their art, and they sent him to the UFC to show that a mediocre practitioner could still beat elite MAists. And he did. HOWEVER, over the years, not everybody became a GBJJ expert. They adopted the best types of striking, grappling, and submission arts and learned them all. They didn't just focus on becoming an expert at GBJJ. They became good at Muay Thai, wrestling, and BJJ, as an example. Now, this is all for competition within the cage. But I'd put my money on someone like Anderson Silva/Lyoto Machida versus some schmuck in a bar any day!

I think that any art that you dedicate your life to learning can be effective in most situations, and ineffective in some situations as well. But that's part of the fun of being a MAist. Knowing that if you focus on the finger pointing to the moon, you'll miss all that Heavenly glory!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I'm a karateka, but I've followed MMA since before UFC1. What has happened is that the Gracies learned a system, improved it, and proved that AT THE TIME, it was one of the most effective systems and "the only MA that was needed". As a matter of fact, Royce was not even close to the best at their art, and they sent him to the UFC to show that a mediocre practitioner could still beat elite MAists. And he did. HOWEVER, over the years, not everybody became a GBJJ expert. They adopted the best types of striking, grappling, and submission arts and learned them all. They didn't just focus on becoming an expert at GBJJ. They became good at Muay Thai, wrestling, and BJJ, as an example. Now, this is all for competition within the cage. But I'd put my money on someone like Anderson Silva/Lyoto Machida versus some schmuck in a bar any day!

I think that any art that you dedicate your life to learning can be effective in most situations, and ineffective in some situations as well. But that's part of the fun of being a MAist. Knowing that if you focus on the finger pointing to the moon, you'll miss all that Heavenly glory!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! Thanks for your 2 cents!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I really like how people are mostly respectful here. Good job! !!!. Imho even though Japanese jujutsu and Brazilian jiujitsu are different i think they compliment each other really well. Like judo and bjj. I think to be well rounded you need to cross train . Ive incorporated muay Thai. For striking as well. But iam no master. I will always be a humble student. I also think any style is only good if you practice with a resisting opponent.

San mokuroku icho yama ryu jujutsu daito ryu aiki jujutsu gracie jiujitsu

• 4 weeks later...

I've just started a Hybrid JJ class. We take elements from BJJ and JJJ.

The real basic generalization i was given is that JJJ is strikes and take-downs and arm locks where as BJJ is once you are on the floor working for mount position to work for submission.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka