• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenshin Kan Shorin-Ryu

Kruczek

Does anyone here practice this style run by Hanshi Fusei Kise?

I am debating taking classes but have noticed their requirements for 6th dan (excluding time in) is similar to what I needed for my 3rd dan in Shorinkan. Was curious if anyone could give me some insight.

On the off chance someone is knowledgeable - I would be studying under Kyoshi Ader of Colorado.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kyoshi ader is a very good instructor, im not very fond of the kenshin kan system. i prefer the original style as taught by soken. but kenshin kan is a descent style if you train hard

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

well fusei kise started out teaching shorinji ryu and then became a student of soken. so the style he taught to many of the servicemen was a blend of both. however when soken handed over the style to kise he realized that he would not be able to retain students with the kind of training he and soken typically used. so alot of the kata were changed and in my opinion made easier. before they were divided into matsumura and shorinji kata and each had its own style of blocks and punches. the shorinji kata were made to look more like the matsumura. and also alot of the hardcore training was taken out and replaced with methods that are more friendly to the average person. to give you insight there is three instructors i know of that teach the old ways and none of them have more than a handful of blackbelts. and most dont wanna stick around until green belt(rokkyu).

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I echo unknownstyle's reply.

I practice Kenshin Kan from a great teacher and from what I can tell you it's Matsumara Shorin Ryu Seito. Kise completely switched over to it under Grandmaster Soken Hohan. I really love what I'm learning so far and the deep heritage and true spirit of Karate is really deep in everything you practice.

And from what I heard and read Kise is the only true living sole heir to teaching Matsumara Orthodox Karate passed down from Grandmaster Soken Hohan. All that is reported by the Government of Japan for accuracy.

Here's some history:

Master Kise became a shihan ("master")on January 1, 1965, when he passed the 7th dan examination under Grandmaster Nakamura. At that time, Master Kise taught and practiced Shorinji-ryu karate-do. During this time, he continued studying Shorin-ryu under Grandmaster Soken.

On January 1, 1957, Master Kise switched completely over to Matsumura Seito Shorin-ryu. On January 3, 1972, Master Kise qualified for the hanshi title by passing the 8th dan examination held by Grandmaster Soken and Master Makabe.

Sep 1st 1976 Master Kise qualified for his 9th Dan by Grand Master Hohan Soken. In 1977 Master Kise founded the Shorin Ryu Karate Kenshin Kan Karate and Kobudo Federation.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

unknownstyle - Thank you. What you say is exactly the feeling I get from the few classes I have observed and from what I have seen on youtube. It looks like traditional karate, but watered down a bit.

I am probably going to take some classes regardless and just stay quiet until I get a feel for how they teach. They advertise the "no bull, combat oriented", but if the Kata isn't up to par then it isn't really an art anymore in my mind.

NewLevel - Thank you also for your input. I have read the history Hanshi Kise elsewhere, and while I will by no means deny him the deserved respect, I am intrigued to say the least about how he "meshed" the two styles together, and if that is the case - how it can be called Mastumara Orthodox.

So many questions - thank you both though, that put me in the right direction.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com