• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defense Against the Hair Grab

I think that anyone whose hair is pulled from behind has to be fast to do what's suggested in this video.

The Krav Maga ones are a little better, but it's still a tough call. Putting things in perspective, if someone significantly stronger (assuming man vs woman/child) could apply a front grab to your hair, they could equally have struck you, and very probably hard (at least enough to make your eyes water so your subsequent movements are likely ineffectual). You're actually lucky if they only grab and give you at least some slim chance to get out of it relatively unscathed. By all means learn a couple of these escapes, and apply them trying for the best of a bad thing, but it's more productive to concentrate on awareness, deflection/blocking/dodging and breaks from the earliest stages of grabs on wrists (as they're typically the closest thing for the attacker to grab, and having your wrists grabbed is more of a problem in that it makes it hard to strike with the hands), and learning good mechanics for strikes that you can use whether or not they're interested in grabbing you, rather than focus too much on custom movements for when these grabs are well established: it's already kind of too late, and whatever you learn won't help you with the other aspects on combat, or against a dedicated striker....

Cheers,

Tony

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I kept my hair as short, is because it fell out a many years ago, but Tallgeese is right about not grabbing with both hands (as you have just reduced your limbs to his/her ratio).

Also, everyone seems in a hurry to put people in arm locks these days. If you don't know how to do it well, it could spell disaster for you.

Why not stick your finger(s) into the soft bit of your attckers throat (just underneath the adams apple).

Do it hard enough (in a downward direction) as if to peirce the skin and they will let go.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Why strike too? Joint locks against much stronger opponents just have a low success rate. A movement like this is most likely to be needed by someone who's not particularly strong.

I agree. Striking before applying any joint manipulation, or striking as you acquire the lock, is a good way to facilitate the success level of using such a technique. If instructors allow resistance in drills with joint locks, it is quickly realized just how tough they can be to pull off. Striking can help take the grabber's mind off the grab, weaken the grip, and occupy them in defense while the defender can then work on getting away.

The unbalancing of an opponent can be mental and/or physical!

Physical is more vital than the mental, but, both are important depending on the situation and the situations aren't constant. Physical unbalancing requires a sharp distancing ability, both creating and closing.

I can initiate the action(s) OR the opponent can; both are the same. Huh? I can use the actions of the opponent, and, when that occurs, both actions are in motion, but, the opponent isn't in an advantage. Footwork is important! Proper footwork can dictate angles and proper footwork can expose flawed angles in the opponent.

Mizu no kokoro and Tsuki no kokoro are the elements of mental unbalancing an opponent. One either has it or one doesn't! If the opponents confused, angry, upset, scared, unfocused, distracted, etc. Then the waters are no longer calm and if the reflections of the moon are cloudy, then, the opponent is at a great disadvantage if I'm in full Mizu no kokoro and Tsuki no kokoro.

This is as simplistic as I can explain kuzushi. WNM, might be able to shed more light on it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Very well put Sensei8,

I would agree that the "mental" off-balancing of your opponent is just as important if not more so than the physical.

Of course you can apply force to the human body by pushing/pulling/striking etc., which has a physical effect on the posture or "Shisei" to off balance, but also kuzushi can be achieved without actually touching your opponent:

To throw someone physically you first have to throw them mentally as it were.

This can be done in number of ways like breaking their rhythm, shifting angles, changing distance suddenly, changing speed suddenly, Kiai (shouting), distracting etc., etc., .... all ways to mentally throw off your opponent leaving them vulnerable.

As sensei8 alludes to, this is where the training of the mind comes into our karate, so as limit the chances of us being "mentally" thrown.

Karate-ka should train to have "Fudoshin" or immovable spirit.

WNM

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

From my many bar-street experience and observations, I rarely see any defenses or such agianst a hair grab because I rarely see hair grabbing, except for the occasional female against female, which looks to be difficult to apply a actual defense.