• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defense Against the Hair Grab

Ouch! :o This is just as possible as someone grabbing your shirt, but a lot more painful--and controlling. What all three videos have in common is the person's hair being grabbed from the front.

This one is of a man having his hair seized:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2357209_self-defense-video-hair-grabs.html

This second one is of a woman:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4467612_escaping-hair-grab-womens-self.html

As is this third:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2360486_hair-grab-move-koden-kan.html

They all start off with the same double-hand grab of the adversary's hand to arrest his control, but then each has its own spin on handling the situation.

Do you think these are viable? Do you recommend one over the others?

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a drill I did during a JKD class, in which instead of spear handing our partner's eyes, we shot an open hand out and tapped him/her on top of the head with the full length of the spear fingers--right where the videos show the grab is made.

This isn't limited to women's self-defense, although women in particular might take note. Which would you pick? Or do you have an alternate way of defending against someone grabbing your hair and yanking on your scalp?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I really do like small joint manipulation. That being said, it's kind of a secondary tactic for something like this.

If an attacker has laid hands on you like this, he's started the aggression, I'm under no stipulation to not hit him. Depending on what he's trying to do with the hair grab, because it's usually a tactic used to accomplish something else, no a damage movement itself, you can hit him about any way you want with more guaranteed reaction than a wrist position.

Not to mention that if I tie up both of my hands on one of his, I've given up any other defensive movements I might have had. This is really important it he's decided to try and hit me with his other hand.

If he's trying to pull me somewhere, a common tactic with a hair grab, then I've further attached myself to him. Not a great idea if your goal is to escape.

So, personally, I'd seek another avenue.

Having had my hair grabbed that way, as well as seeing others be attacked in the same manner. I think most hair grab defenses are worthless. The attackers hand will be entwined in your hair, and any type of pulling it off will end up pulling your hair out. It doesn't matter if you loosen their hand first, the hair will still be twisted around their fingers.

My first choice would be to cause them pain somewhere else, thus changing their focus and making them WANT to let go of my hair in order to protect themselves from my attacks.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I've studied a lot of small circle Jujitsu and still enjoy training it but recently had my eyes opened to a very interesting point of view. Should be a no-brainer really. Can't believe I never thought of it. My shihan pointed out that if someone grabs me, his hands are busy holding onto me but my hands are free. How's he going to stop me from knocking him out if he's busy pulling my hair?

I wonder if a hair grab and a successful defense against it as shown in the videos would apply more to domestic violence than an attack in another setting, such as going back to your car at night. I thought of domestic violence in that it's usually a bullying act.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I

if someone grabs me, his hands are busy holding onto me but my hands are free. How's he going to stop me from knocking him out if he's busy pulling my hair?

This is true, but the hair grab makes it a little different in that your head is very mobil. It can be moved around fairly easily and it is a primay balance point (not center of balance, but still...). You don't need to take their hands off (very difficult to do), but you do need to control them a little bit. I think the first video was pretty spot on. It is almost exactly what I trained and has proven pretty effective in 1 or 2 real world instances I am aware of.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight" Ps. 144:1

http://www.actionkaratearts.com/

I wonder if a hair grab and a successful defense against it as shown in the videos would apply more to domestic violence than an attack in another setting, such as going back to your car at night. I thought of domestic violence in that it's usually a bullying act.

I don't know that it would matter, really. Violence is violence, and the things that should be considered are getting away, and staying safe.

Hopefully, I'll get to see the videos; I can't watch them right now.

What I was taught was similar to what was in the third video. However like what was said earlier, if the attacker has really got their fingers in your hair you can't do much unless you want to rip your own hair out. Best policy in my opinion is give them a good hard kick in the kneecaps/groin/stomach etc. first, then either continue attacking until they let go whilst screaming for help.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius