• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't charge for testing fees either!

Why?

I eliminated ALL testing fees at my dojo when the economic downturn took a ugly downspiral. I did many other things to make life easier for my students, for example, I drastically lowered the pricing structure of the lessons as well as the retail side.

Why?

The martial arts, imho, is a want; not a need. Our students, imho, don't need the martial arts. But, our students, imho, need to be able to pay their rent/mortgage, buy food, buy gas for the car, pay the utilities, and the like.

When I took over the Shindokan Hombu, I eliminated ALL testing fees for the same reason as stated above.

Why?

It was and is my preference, it's something I wanted to do and it's been positive across the board for my students pocketbook, therefore, I'll not charge any of my students any testing fee. How long before I re-start the testing fees? NEVER!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There is no charge for testing or belts at our school

May I ask why?

I don't know why. My son has been there almost 5 years now and there has not been a testing fee or belt fee in that time. We pay a monthly fee, we pay for the gi, and we pay for any private lessons he wishes to have.

I'll see if I can find out the reason from the sensei.

Then about 15 years ago or so I quit charging...period. They can buy their belts locally at a TKD dojang, or I can order them one.

I dont quite understand....please explain...thanks

I don't quite understand your question..why don't I charge, or why did I quit charging?

I quit charging because I wasn't teaching for the income. Sure, the extra money was always nice, but I felt I had knowledge that I wanted to pass on to others that were so inclined and felt there was no need to charge them for this knowledge. I had even stopped charging for classes at one time, but that was a disaster! (another long story, but I won't get into it here).

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Then about 15 years ago or so I quit charging...period. They can buy their belts locally at a TKD dojang, or I can order them one.

I don't quite understand your question..why don't I charge, or why did I quit charging?

I quit charging because I wasn't teaching for the income. Sure, the extra money was always nice, but I felt I had knowledge that I wanted to pass on to others that were so inclined and felt there was no need to charge them for this knowledge. I had even stopped charging for classes at one time, but that was a disaster! (another long story, but I won't get into it here).

Exactly why I dont charge. I cant seem to charge for knowledge obtained. I cant seem to understand a meaning of testing upon information that should be seen as progress in the making.

However, if there is overhead, charging for lessons is a must. But, what is not a must, is to "nickel and dime" for anything.

Edited by RichardZ

Exactly whi I dont charge. I cant seem to charge for knowledge obtained. I cant seem to understand a meaning of testing upon information that should be seen as progress in the making.

However, if there is overhead, charging for lessons is a must. But, what is not a must, is to "nickel and dine" for anything.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

At one school I was at they charge $35 dollars for kyu

and $150 dollars for dan...but then you have to travel to a board of directors, pay for a hotel for atleast one night, because its a two day test. and driving was an 8 hour drive...

Then you have to cover food...(gas)...My teacher wanted me to take him out to eat, and then his teacher accompanied, and I felt I had to treat them...

shodan cost me $500 EASY!!

What I charge for testing fees

Kyu= 0

dan = 0 ...unless they want a silk belt, then we go half and half 15/15

At one school I was at they charge $35 dollars for kyu

and $150 dollars for dan...but then you have to travel to a board of directors, pay for a hotel for atleast one night, because its a two day test. and driving was an 8 hour drive...

Then you have to cover food...(gas)...My teacher wanted me to take him out to eat, and then his teacher accompanied, and I felt I had to treat them...

shodan cost me $500 EASY!!

What I charge for testing fees

Kyu= 0

dan = 0 ...unless they want a silk belt, then we go half and half 15/15

What are the testing requirements for these who have to be tested by the board?