• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing Fees

The school I go to charges between 25 and 35 pounds for kyu gradings depending on age and grade, for Dan gradings there a grading fee of 55 pounds plus a pass fee of 40 pounds, on top of this is about 5 to 6 pounds for kyu grade belts and 15 pounds for black belts.

Currently 1st Kyu

Had two failed attempt at 1st dan

Third attempt sunday 19th december

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the exact figures in front of me but testing for any level below dan rank is somewhere between $10 and $20; enough to cover the belt price and a minor fee for paperwork processing. The price does go up slightly for dan rank but it only increases by about $5 or so.

One thing I haven't seen addressed yet is whether or not you get charged a second fee if you don't pass the test the first time. My dojo only charges you once whether you pass the test on the first or tenth try.

For those who do charge fees I would also be interested in learning how much of those fees are you required to charge by whatever group/organization you belong to.

My sensei teaches Yoshinkan Aikido but he is not officially registered with the main Yoshinkan HQ in Japan because he can't afford it and because he doesn't want to impose ridiculous fees on his students. According to him if you teach outside of Japan you can expect to pay $1,000 for your first dan test and an additional $1,000 if you don't pass the first time. You also are required to pay $100 for a teaching certificate. Testing for second dan jumps to $2,000 and once again that's non-refundable if you don't pass the first time. You also need a new teaching certificate which is more expensive than your first one was.

fees for school I attend:

9 total belt ranks:

$45 for each purple ( 2 stripes )

$55 green ( 3 stripes )

$65 red ( 3 stripes )

$350 1st dan

$450 2nd dan

increasing up to $2000 for 6th dan. Not entirely sure what it's all about.

• 2 weeks later...

I charge students £10 per kyu grading and Dan grades are undertaken by our governing body at I think £75 for First Dan, my Second Dan cost £120.

I would love to not have to charge for kyu grades but we only charge £3.50 per two hour training session and with the charges we have to face with hall rental and our own insurances, we have to charge to ensure we cover costs. I do not however take anything from the club financially. I do however use the funds that are raised to give my students new equipment, subsidise events and try to give them the best experiences in Karate possible along with life-skills lessons too.