• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

front snap

Hey folks,

When you teach the front snap kick to beginners, how do you do it? I'm interested in seeing how others start off and do practice drills.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Simple drill with a kick shield. I plant it against the partners shin and teach them to point the knee towards it and put the kick in properly. Then, have the bag holder move.

They rep that awhile then do it vs. shin gear only.

That day, I make sure they work it in sparring. This is, of course, assuming that they've already got a bit of movement skill built already. At this phase, we'll talk about picking it up to the groin and abdomen. Some of the more athletic guys might try it during sparring.

Ah, that's good. I was also thinking of doing chambering drills with the knee so they can get used to the pendulum action of the hips.

- Sun-tzu

When I first teach it, I like to break it down into 4 parts: chamber, execute, rechamber, return.

Usually, I'll let them balance with a wall, so they can focus on the kick components, and I also slow it down, so they get some muscle work in. I focus on the chamber and rechamber being in the same position, and making sure that the foot is engaged for the proper striking tool to be presented.

It pretty much starts out as a kick from the knee at this point, but as they get the motions down, you can get to engage the hips in the kick as you go.

Now, to shamelessly plug some of my own work, I did an article on doing an entire class on the front kick alone: Front Kick Class :)

Thank you, I just finished reading it actually :)

- Sun-tzu

• 5 weeks later...

I'll use a broom handle or such and place the tip against the inside of the non-kicking knee and make them kick over the stick and return it the same way. That's how we kick and I want them to learn it the right way the first time, not develope bad habits from the start and have to break them later.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Montana,

I use a similar drill but instead of a broomstick I have them kick over a partner who is on "all fours"-as they get better the target gets "taller". I use this for all the basic kicks-front, side, round, back. Instant feed back from a live partner is somehow more effective-especially the kids, because they don't want to get kicked when it's their turn to be down.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 years later...

I think some main points are to do it next to the student and to also example the "chambering" of the knee and make clear the part of the foot you kick with :karate:

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do