• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lead Leg Round House & Switch Round House

Reala

Love front leg mawashi nice as effective stopper and distance maintainer as well asd a lovely weight distribution attack in preparation for your punching etc.

My tip for what it is worth is to focus on your knee, think of a hizageri (knee kick) and then work of this becoming a full mawashigeri if distance is right. Min you this works with maegeri a well.

Mawashi very could low maegeri of front leg lot faster and harder to stop but needs more practice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whether its the lead leg roundhouse or the back leg roundhouse, the one thing I've noticed is this. Why in the world aren't martial artists, including high Dan ranks, turning their supporting FOOT out a 180 degrees? I just don't understand it!

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's a viable concern, Bob. In can depend on the kick.

For higher kicks, the pivot foot is vastly important. The more you can pivot that foot, the more you can open the hips, allowing for more power.

But, for lower kicks, like to the upper leg or even the knee, the complete 180 degree pivot isn't as necessary. Of course, if you like to get that full pivot when you kick low, have at it. But, from what I've worked with, it isn't as necessary, and by not doing a full pivot, you can get the kick there faster. Also, the full pivot isn't are required for adequate power when kicking lower. The higher the kick, though, the more important the proper pivot becomes.

In MT for the high RH kick the foot pivots to gen more power. The kick finishes turning the body because of the pivot. It is a kick that is meant to finish turned.

Not exactly the best idea to pivot on anything lower, you want to bring that leg back and be back in fight stance to throw more to combo etc...

Love front leg mawashi nice as effective stopper and distance maintainer as well asd a lovely weight distribution attack in preparation for your punching etc.

My tip for what it is worth is to focus on your knee, think of a hizageri (knee kick) and then work of this becoming a full mawashigeri if distance is right. Min you this works with maegeri a well.

Mawashi very could low maegeri of front leg lot faster and harder to stop but needs more practice.

I understand your point, but in my opinion, when you focus on the knee the shin and foot become empty. One should focus on the heel, ankle and knee when 'exploding' into a kick or a movement. Then it might become part of the whole body

Whether its the lead leg roundhouse or the back leg roundhouse, the one thing I've noticed is this. Why in the world aren't martial artists, including high Dan ranks, turning their supporting FOOT out a 180 degrees? I just don't understand it!

Actually, in our style, we are taught that the optimum position for the base foot is more 135-165 degrees (depending on the kick). If you are limited by flexibility then you can go more towards the 180 position but ideally you'd only go as far as 135-165...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

is your shizentai like _ o _ ?

shizentai should be \o/

Actually, in our style, we are taught that the optimum position for the base foot is more 135-165 degrees (depending on the kick). If you are limited by flexibility then you can go more towards the 180 position but ideally you'd only go as far as 135-165...

Then, that's the bueaty about methodologies!

:)

shizentai should be \o/

:lol:

No, it's not my shizentai!!!!!!

In kicking, not every kick, the relationship from the lead leg to the supporting foot IS as you've noted. The supporting foot is 180 degrees opposite of the kicking foot/leg. This is the methodology of Shindokan.

shizentai should be \o/

:lol:

No, it's not my shizentai!!!!!!

In kicking, not every kick, the relationship from the lead leg to the supporting foot IS as you've noted. The supporting foot is 180 degrees opposite of the kicking foot/leg. This is the methodology of Shindokan.

Hi,

I think what AJ is eluding to is the fact the it is unnatural / unstable to stand with your feet turned out 180deg to each other in shizentai and this is the same when doing a kick.

Its a trade off between rotating your supporting foot far enough around (to allow the hips to open as required) and giving your base some width.

Turning your foot 180 deg allows the hips to open but is unstable sideways and also puts the knee of the supporting leg in a vulnerable position when you apply sideways force to it.

Like others have mentioned, I think about 135 deg is probably more in the ball park - when it comes to kicks like jodan mawashi / sokuto

I would say that the foot turn to nearer 180 deg with ushirogeri.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk