• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Is The Martial Arts communitys Perception Of MMA????

I was reading a newspaper about mma fighting and trying to make it sanction in Vancouver Canada and there is a group of traditional martial artist that are trying to keep it out of town and are against it.

However with the same token there are some martial artist that enjoy it and feel that is very good common ground to test ones ability in the line of fire.

I personally am torn in to two sides. I have met many type of mma fans mostly ignorant and seem impatient and others are very nice respectful and open minded. Oh and check ignorant in the sherdog forum an mma community

I see mma as a sport and NOT!!! a fighting style so it really really bugs me when people mma is better then boxing which is crap. The thing I learned in boxing is that fighting is CHAOS and you need a fighting style to keep you in there without turning it in to a chaotic mess.

There are Great Artist in the mma known as Karo Parisyan ( judo master) Anderson Silva (striking god) and machida ( an undefeated karate ace)

For me these guys give me hope but the ones that half-gassed everything and just look like GARBAGE standing and on the ground are the ones that martial arts warns people when they say have patient and learn correctly and etc...

So share your thoughts on the mma I am sure this topic has been done but I am a new guy so forgive me if its redundant and feel free to post an archive if no one doesn't want to talk about

I think MMA has been a very positive step in helping delineate who and what is on offer. I think anyone nowadays who wants to 'talk tough' has an ideal testing ground for proving themselves...and if you are not willing to prove yourself then don't talk tough.

Sure, there are rules, but not too many and the rules prohibit BOTH combatants from certain techniques.

Cheers,

Eisho

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would like to see is a tournament where the fight starts off with the gloves already touching and in a tighter, more confined space. I think this would require the development and use of attributes, skills and strategies that more traditional martial arts are in theory trying to teach.

Cheers,

Eisho

My opinion between TMA's (Not all) and MMA (Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo ect.) Is that the arts them selves have a live proponent to it. by alive I mean a fully resiting partner, or a partner who offers varying levels of resitence.

That aliveness is the TEST that allows the person to grow quicker because they get to see what is working for them and what isn't. They get to work on the core basics that are the higher percetage moves that will develop there figthting ability quicker.

Arts that have that aliveness factor will in my opinion have better results in self defense then those arts that don't. Just my opinion.

What I would like to see is a tournament where the fight starts off with the gloves already touching and in a tighter, more confined space. I think this would require the development and use of attributes, skills and strategies that more traditional martial arts are in theory trying to teach.

Cheers,

Eisho

Wouldn't it pretty much become a BJJ/wrestling match though?

Cheers,

Eisho

Wouldn't it pretty much become a BJJ/wrestling match though?

And Muay Thai. A lot of MT is clinch striking.

It would probably be closer to a "real fight" than an MMA fight in a large arena where you can circle off and consider your options.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I love MMA. For a sport it is very complete. I can't ask much more of it. For self defense it is very decent for conditioning, well roundedness and fighting under pressure. For self defense it is incomplete. Though it is incomplete, it teaches you a lot about self defense.

1. A thumb in the eye works like a charm.

2. Hitting to the back of the head works.

3. Hitting to the groin works.

4. Kicking a downed opponent works.

So what ever is banned from the UFC works in real life

Didn't the "founder(s)" of any said style of the martial arts borrow a little from this and a little from that and took away a little of this and took away a little of that? The "founder(s)" started with their learnt style and then begin to whittle away at it, adding this and taking away that, until, they finally came up with a new style of the martial arts.

My own style, Shindokan, came about by taking Okinawa-te and Shuri-te, and then combining the "effective" parts of the two into one.

At 'its' core, isn't every style of the martial arts MMA?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That would be nice if it were, Bob, but it just isn't the case anymore. As different styles deversivied, specialization became the name of the game. My case in point is this: styles like TKD, Karate, TSD, and even Boxing, have come to excell in the stand-up game. Judo and Aikido are known for their throws. Wrestling and BJJ are specialized in grappling.

Now, this level of specialization isn't all bad, because it has allowed the progression of skills in those specialized areas. Yet they came at the expense of skills in other arears.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been one to say that one should take the time to actually learn a style, and become good at it, before actually trying to say u KNOW about a style. Learn the correct dynamics, then put them to the test.

Very few mixed martial art instructors can actually pass their knowledge to create new mixed martial artists that actually dominate the material they need in different areas. The ones that CAN pass their knowledge on actually have a curriculum they pass on to their students, much like traditional martial arts, so important material doesnt get lost and forgotten in class.

Also, there are fighters, and then there are fighters. MMAs can actually be quite similar to Traditional Martial Arts in the sense that if you dont train as you should, with the best of teachers, u will get beaten and you will lose. Thats why we see some fighting gems and a lot of burning coal(they push on, but have no actual skill)

Thats just my opinion though.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Very few mixed martial art instructors can actually pass their knowledge to create new mixed martial artists that actually dominate the material they need in different areas. The ones that CAN pass their knowledge on actually have a curriculum they pass on to their students, much like traditional martial arts, so important material doesnt get lost and forgotten in class.

This is true with any physical skill. There are those who can perform, and those who can pass it on. The ones that can do this become coaches, teachers, instructors, etc. There is no doubt that it takes something special to become one of the few who can, and I think that many agree that we all can't do it. So MMA isn't the only avenue that falls victim to this; so does every other physical endeavor.