• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This week I started training at a MMA school. My first class was great. I felt really good about my performance with the striking drills and the jiu jitsu techniques we covered; however, I was a little disappointed with my sparring.

Before we began, the instructor told me that we were to go only 30% effort. It didn't take me long to realize that my sparring partners, including the instructor, were hitting harder than they proposed (I got rocked twice!) I found myself backing up a lot when my partner threw a barrage of punches and kicks. I was constantly being instructed not to do this, and I knew that I needed to circle out in these situations, considering that we were simulating fighting in a cage. It just seemed that I was having great difficulty defending combinations. I tried to circle and counter, but my instinct kept telling me to back away from the aggression. I was able to get in a few strikes of my own but felt that most of my time was spent ineffectively defending myself.

I know that a lot of my performance was due to inexperience, and I'm sure that I'll improve my technique and confidence as I continue. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers to help me with my stand up game, particularly in dealing with a barrage of combinations being thrown at me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After a couple times that you actually DO get run into a wall, and then they use you as a speed bag, you should understand the whole "quit backing up" thing a bit better.

Know that you're gonna get hit. Know that you're going to get hit a lot. It's not the end of the world; most of those strikes aren't going to be directed solidly as long as you have a guard up, and you should think of those kind've like rain. You can dash around cowering under awnings, or you can walk confidently; both people will be soaked to the bone when they arrive. Quit thinking "Oh noes, i'm getting hit!" and focus on just keeping guarded and covering a few more vital spots and dishing out accurate techniques in return.

Know also that the hits aren't like radiation streaming from your opponent; it's actually all concentrated in a specific point in space in front of them. Any direction to get away from that spot will work; you can go sideways, down, or forward too.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yep, backing up is suicide. Your opponent can move forward a lot faster than you can move backward. Once he gets you off balance, you're toast. Circle out and counter, yes, but you have to be quick with your counter and make sure you counter with something that'll get his attention and make him break off his attack. If he's over committed to attacking you he's left himself open somewhere. It just takes a lot of practice to learn how to spot the opening and exploit it. You'll get there. That's why we call it training.

Eagle Ace, this is from my post on another thread:

I was taking my JKD class, and one of the drills was what I would call an infighting position . . . I was to cover up my head while [the instructor] was inches from me, whacking me with two focus mitts, and then, at the right time, there would be a pause for me to take advantage of to pop out a lead punch to one upheld mitt, a cross to the other, and then an elbow to that first mitt. . . .

I . . . didn't cover my head as well as I should have, taking a boxer's guard, but being too close for that (my hands had to protect above the eyes [forehead, temple, front top of head]) so I got whacked a good number of times right where I wasn't protecting, even though I knew what I was supposed to do. (But at least I did catch on.)

It happens to everybody. I've been taking Soo Bahk Do for eighteen months, but this was only my fourth Jeet Kune Do lesson, and one difference between the two is non-contact (SBD) vs. contact (JKD). I used to do light-to-moderate contact with a friend when younger and prefer it. It's true that backing up a lot often means you're stuck blocking until you're hit, but you'll get soon enough get better control and shoot right back. That's the way I'm viewing it for myself. When there's contact, it can rattle anyone a bit, but it's something that's surprisingly easy to get used to. I'm happy to say I was able to respond fairly respectfully during the focus mitt drill for a guy getting a drum roll on his head. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I do the opposite of what JusticeZero recommends - I try to block or dodge absolutely every attack. I'm not training for competition fighting, not necessarily 1-on-1 or weaponless, no gloves and/or rules, nor the movement possible in any particular venue, but then I'm not normally training with someone really determined to belt me one either, so you can take it either way. But, the consequences: trying to block everything forces you to proactively manage the opponent's distance and freedom to strike. This requires good footwork, timing, guarding, proactive strikes, and appropriate strategy. From the guard, I keep the crucial elbow-to-fist line extended towards their head so I can jab very fast and hard if they try to close. I watch their guard carefully and actively practice removing or bypassing the guard while closing to strike. I make sure I'm making the most of both hands and legs for attacking and defending, and not limiting my awareness to my front or favourite side, thinking of the overall flow rather than any single technique. And crucially, I typically block early - extending my arms to deflect before the attack is focused, rather than meeting its force - coordinating with a counter-attack. It's often useful to deflect limbs to close their body, and/or grasp and tug them subtly off balance, so you are able to counter attack from their side and they can't keep attacking you freely.

blackxpress is right in saying your counter has to be committed enough to force the attacker to break off the attack. Unfortunately, if the environment/people are not "respectful", that can mean you have to convince them to take your strikes seriously, one way or another. But, don't let someone think they're getting the better of you just because they're ignoring what you demonstrably could be doing to them.

Cheers,

Tony

As said, backing up is a bad place to be. In any format. Yes, due to the cage restrictions you have to circle to avoid getting crushed there. But, on the street backing up can be just as bad.

Aside from giving him a distinct tactical advantage, you can also trip over curbs, fire hydrants, ect. Much better to cut the angles and circle.

Part of it is likely that your not used to getting hit. When the instructor says "30%", he's likely using....bigger numbers than you are. He's used to hitting and being hit a lot harder most likely. I doubt they are trying to kill you unless your hitting harder than you think when you get shots in. In that case, they are only hitting as hard as you are. Getting hit stinks. But, like whiskey, it won't kill you if done in moderation, although your head my hurt in the morning if you partate of too much of it.

Once you get past that, think of this when trying to get out of range. Until you sharpen the rest of your defensive skills, you may have to give ground. If you do, never back up more than one step. After that step, you should be circling on the next step. As others have said, he can come forward a lot faster than you can retreat. You will get run over things and lose your footing or end up plastered to a wall/cage with no where to run.

So, one step back, one step in a circle/pivot or laterally. Once you start doing this, setting up counters and getting in enough shots that your not getting buried by offense will be easier.

Best of luck. It will get better if you just stick with it and work hard.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Backing up/away from whatever is being thrown at you is normal...at first in any martial art.

Two types of Backing:

1> Luring opponent into a trap/set-up: intentionally

2> Scared/overwhelmed: unintentionally

I'm sure that this list could be long, but, the MOST uses of backing up from whatever are listed above.

Which one are you?

You'll be scared/overwhelmed before you turn that fear into luring an opponent into your trap/set-up. Fear is erased as one trains!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is a problem that I have had a lot, too. I have been using more angles lately, and it is helping some, but I still need work at it. I try to cut angles as I block, so that I don't just back up. Its tough, but its getting better.