• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pop up requirements

I was in martial arts for 8 years (2 styles) and was about 8 months from my first black belt grading. The instructors refused to tell me the price for the grading, which was 3 days long and 2 hours away in another city. They also told me that there would be two camps I would have to attend. When I said that I could not afford to take of time from school to go to one of the camps (I was in high school and applying to universities at the time) nor could I afford to pay for the camp (3 days in a hotel). They told me that my black belt was as important as a university degree, and if I couldn't pay for the camp, I probably couldn't pay for the black belt grading. I ended up leaving for other reasons, but I was wondering if it was normal to have requirements like this pop up before a black belt grading. Also, is it unusual to refuse to provide the price for gradings?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never seen that done before. I know a few schools that require camps, but those are done every year, and for those who can't afford it, the cost is subsidized. That seems a bit strange to me.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

To me that screams McDojo. :-?

A black belt should not be centered around a fee. If the money is the only thing holding someone from a test that instructor better get his/her head on straight and get that person tested. A black belt means much more than the ability to pay the fee.

Although I don't think a black belt needs to be free, these actions do sound kind of hokey. For the most part, there are always going to be fees involved. That's the business side of things. But to see that many requirements pop up without knowing about it ahead of time is not very cool at all. I would probably go elsewhere, too.

They told me that my black belt was as important as a university degree,

That's absurd! Well, there's nothing like pressure selling!

and if I couldn't pay for the camp, I probably couldn't pay for the black belt grading.

Pretty presumptuous of them!

Welcome to....Money is more important than anything! Sheech!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Four years is a long time, I'm sorry that you were treated like that by folks you knew. The good thing is that you aren't affiliated with them anymore. It is a cause for regret that you were disrespected this way, but it is also good that you did not cave in to their demands.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu