• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sport blocking

Patcherson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Being a traditional Karate-ka, then I guess I don't understand the term you guys are referring to then. I also hear the term "Perry" which is a term that was never used in traditional karate. Can someone explain specifically what this technique would be?

- Killer -

killer its about sport blocking not application so no grabs are in sport

I view a parry as a redirection type of block, but it isn't a very big movement. The hand can take the form of a knife hand position, but the redirection is usually done with the palm. If a jab is coming at your face you could parry it to the inside with the same side the attack is coming on, and step to the outside with that side foot. Also, its usually accompanied by a head movement (slip) away from the attack. You could also parry to the outside, as well. Just depends. Hope that helps you to visualize it better.

There is also the original intent of the traditional chambering and blocking approach. Many of the movements of old school training methods (stances, overtly chambered blocks and strikes, etc...) were intentionally exagerated for training purposes. In the dojo, they are more like icons of what the techniques should be, rather than how they are actually meant to be used in a real-world throw-down. The idea being: "If you can get fast, strong and accurate doing it this way...you will be unstoppable in the real fight." The traditional karate techniques were/are very effective...if the time and training are invested in learning to use them.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight" Ps. 144:1

http://www.actionkaratearts.com/

As an interesting side note, if you're really interested in seeing how some of the traditional karate "blocks" can be interpreted bunkai-wise, "75 Down Blocks" is a great book. Shows all sorts of variants of down blocks for defense, takedowns, and self-defense type scenarios.

"slap" is a bit vague to qualify a block, but to me it suggests the technique may be being delivered without much body weight behind it, relying on the speed of the hand, and the rotation of the forearm around the elbow. The arm may be being relaxed - sticking to the target with the wrist/fingers wrapping around the blocked limb, but it's also possible that the contact is sharp and snappy and immediately withdrawn.

If I understand the thread properly, the slap is being used because a solid kata-like block is considered too slow / over-committed etc.. So, the real objective is to find an alternative. When delivering a minimalist block, I still try to ensure my body is positioned behind it in such a way that I can always escalate the power in the block should the attacker manage to increase the power behind the attack. So, I wouldn't "slap" with the hand predominantly rotating around the elbow, though I might "clap" the attacking limb with my palm, keeping the arm in a position for thrusting/punching where there's power in reserve.

Slapping with a relaxed follow-through (mentioned above) is dangerous as it compromises the recovery time for the limb, though in tai ji it is sometimes applied at the elbow to produce a tug back up through the blocked arm into the neck, while controlling the rotation of their shoulders and hence preventing a rear-side attack, and pulling downwards on the front shoulder preventing a front-leg kick. If you are slapping with some follow through, you want to do something like this, having the blocking arm end up somewhere useful for another block, grab or strike without leaving you too vulnerable - generally not easy to achieve.

I don't believe in relying on the sparring being light- or semi-contact, trying to get away with delivering a block that wouldn't work in a fight.

My take on the "traditional blocks aren't practical" aspect of the discussion: blocking traditionally teaches you the body mechanics and power generation that then allows you to block in a minimalist fashion, while keeping the blocking surface properly connected back through your body to your rotation and mass, as well as giving you the ability to increase the power in a reactive sensitivity sense (like tai chi push hands). I think the same is true of attacks: if you learn a good reverse punch in walking/forward stance, getting the muscles twitching and exploding properly, then your jab in a weaker stance will soon tap in to a lot of the muscle memory and coordination developed, and pack a wallop too.

Summarily, try using your traditional blocks, but just through a smaller range of motion, still injecting power from the body for a split-second at contact if needed, all in a minimalist fashion....

Cheers,

Tony

Listen...

Slap or don't slap....block or don't block...deflect or don't deflect! JUST BLOCK THE DARN THING! Preference...that's what decides as to what technique(s) to use, not, what's effective...imho, this is a big boo-boo!

If I slap block...well...then that's because I deemed it appropriate for what's coming at me!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Listen...

Slap or don't slap....block or don't block...deflect or don't deflect! JUST BLOCK THE DARN THING! Preference...that's what decides as to what technique(s) to use, not, what's effective...imho, this is a big boo-boo!

If I slap block...well...then that's because I deemed it appropriate for what's coming at me!

:)

Definitely the right attitude... the general risk is deciding a slap is enough for almost all the practice situations you're in, then being so habituated to it you can't select something appropriate to another environment (i.e. a real fight). So, good habits, with a mere slap being the exception rather than the rule....

I think one tends to see more "slapping" when it comes to sparring that revolves around light contact and earning a break for point. I think the "tag" game begets the "slaps." When all a strike has to do to garner a point is touch the body, then I think that is when we start seeing the slaps come into play.