• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you practice outside class?

foreverwhitebelt

I've been doing a kata drill here at home three times a week for the last two weeks.

Perform 4 times for power (every move breaks a board).

Perform 4 times for speed.

Perform 4 times for grace (go really slow, focus on stances and correct targeting and stuff).

Perform 4 times with 10-lb dumbbells and 5-lb ankle weights (since those are the only ones I have). I've noticed this really gets me going, and at the end of just one form, it takes its toll.

Perform 4 times combining elements of the first 3 after the weights.

This is somewhat of an exhaustion drill. But for somebody who hasn't done kata in awhile, it's a nice way to get back in the swing of things. I'm taking lots of notes on myself to write up something on it later on.

Nice little work out that you've got...way to train!

Personally, I've lately been doing alot of Kata's while at home and alot of swimming. That's 26 Kata's done one after another with focus, speed, and power. I'm still seeking for that one perfect Kata, but, I've not found it yet. This makes for one little workout!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of class, I mainly do conditioning exercises, running a few miles a day, about 4-5 days a week, strength training (push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, weights), stretching, and then run through the katas and occasionally do some shadow boxing.

Outside of class, I mainly do conditioning exercises, running a few miles a day, about 4-5 days a week, strength training (push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, weights), stretching, and then run through the katas and occasionally do some shadow boxing.

Nice workout there!

Nice workout there!

Thanks! :)

I warm up and stretch. Then I usually pick 1 or 2 techniques and drill each one 30 or so times (I'm currently using the training schedule at the back of M. Nakayama's "Best Karate" vol. 2). I follow this with kata (3x each - once slow, once medium speed, once full speed & power); I end with push-ups & crunches.

I warm up and stretch. Then I usually pick 1 or 2 techniques and drill each one 30 or so times (I'm currently using the training schedule at the back of M. Nakayama's "Best Karate" vol. 2). I follow this with kata (3x each - once slow, once medium speed, once full speed & power); I end with push-ups & crunches.

Nice workout as well!!

If you want to get in shape, try bodyweight calisthenics. Hindu squats, push ups, back bridging, etc. These work wonders in a very short period of time. If you want to improve your karate, as someone has already mentioned, do something different everyday. One day, concentrate only on your punches. Another only on your kicks. Stances another day, etc. The basics go a long way. If you do nothing else, practice, practice, practice those basics. You get them down, everything else falls into place.