• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the core and flexibility exercises.

Kata and other techniques are better left for the class until you feel you are having a good grasp at the material, otherwise you may introduce wrong vices/habits (because ur instructor is not there to correct you) that might take a lot of time to correct.

Plus, core and flexibility are the 2 main things that a karateka should really take time to practice.

Studying Karate for over 20 yrs.

"The more you learn, the more you realize that you know almost nothing"

• 1 month later...

I practice kata, weapons (kihon and kata), and ukemi on my own.

I do bunkai and kata with my girlfriend.

I do bunkai, randori, ukemi, and kumite with some of my college friends.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

the kata I know don't cover all of the kihon we practice in class and it doesn't cover all the kamae-dachi techniques we do for sport competition nor does it cover the physical conditioning

You know, this is what I really love about karate: you get out of it what you put into it. When I train alone I sometimes use 10lb ankle weights on my wrists, and repeat each of my kata at least 5 times without stopping (5x13=65kata reps). The side effect of this is that at first I get a pretty exhausing workout (as flinging 20% of my bodyweight at arms' length for an hour will tend to do). However over time I learn to use the techniques more efficiently and correctly. After a few months it becomes easy, even for a shrimp like me... until I learn a new kata and the process begins anew that is @_@

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I practice everywhere

In the kitchen, in the living room, in the shower, in bed. at work

I'm always practicing in one way or another. either physically or mentally. Note sometimes "practice" areas are space contrained so techniques are "shortened" to fit the area I'm training in

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I try to practice my open hand and self defense moves a couple times a week. Just like a previous poster said, the space will sometimes limit the amount of movement I can do, but I do it anyway to keep the movements fresh in my mind. I even do self defense on my way to work. Anything that involves a kick I do in my mind, and then let me hands finish up.

Even if you don't always have the physical space to work out, you can run though your techniques, combination, and kata in your head. Almost every night falling asleep, I'm running through new katas over and over again in my head, drilling them into my subconscious, so when I do have the opportunity to practice at class I can focus on the perfection of technique rather than trying to remember the kata.

I tend to consider all physical conditioning I do as related to my ma's in some way. In that regard, any lifting or cardio you're working will be benificial. It also makes it a bit easier to stay in the gym to think of it like this.

Not entirely sure if taken in context, but I've started applying certain Kihon movements, wherever possible, into my weight training. For instance -- applying forms to Dumbbell Bench Press, DB Mil Press, DB Rear Flies & Rows, Leg Extensions, Rear Leg Kickbacks, etc...

Despite being an MA beginner, I tend to take things to the extreme. In my free time, aside from practicing Kata, I'll go "practice" on the six large Oak trees I have in the back yard. Plus cardio three times a week...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a kata drill here at home three times a week for the last two weeks.

Perform 4 times for power (every move breaks a board).

Perform 4 times for speed.

Perform 4 times for grace (go really slow, focus on stances and correct targeting and stuff).

Perform 4 times with 10-lb dumbbells and 5-lb ankle weights (since those are the only ones I have). I've noticed this really gets me going, and at the end of just one form, it takes its toll.

Perform 4 times combining elements of the first 3 after the weights.

This is somewhat of an exhaustion drill. But for somebody who hasn't done kata in awhile, it's a nice way to get back in the swing of things. I'm taking lots of notes on myself to write up something on it later on.