• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you practice outside class?

foreverwhitebelt

I have a couple friends who mostly practice kata and some light sparring outside class. However, the kata I know don't cover all of the kihon we practice in class and it doesn't cover all the kamae-dachi techniques we do for sport competition nor does it cover the physical conditioning :o

With limited time to practice/condition and me being a 7th Kyu rank I was wondering what might be the best/a good way to get it all into my busy schedule. So I was wondering what do you all do to practice outside of class and how do you all make it work for you? :-? How much time should I set aside for training outside of class- we have class for 1 hour twice a week and 1 and 1/2 hour for competition class on Saturday. I hope it's not too personal or anything just trying to make things work for myself.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how dedicated you want to be. I wake up earlier so I can practice all the upper body exercises, lower body exercises, empty hand kata, and if I have time weapons katas and one steps. Takes 45 minutes-1 hour depending on how many times I do each.

At your level, you can do the upper body exercises and lower body exercises, the kata you know, and any one steps you know sans partner very easily. I don't know your style very well, but I'm sure these are things you practice. Even partner exercises can be done individually. You just need to use your imagination.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I tend to consider all physical conditioning I do as related to my ma's in some way. In that regard, any lifting or cardio you're working will be benificial. It also makes it a bit easier to stay in the gym to think of it like this.

As to actual ma training, drilling on the heavy bag is great. Make sure you're working your defensive movments as well as your striking. Integrating the two here will really pay off in the long run. Try to find a place to hang a double ended bag as well. These are great tools for upper body movement and a reat workout to boot.

If you're into the makawra thing, this would be a good example of a time to utilize it as well. Same goes for a speed bag.

I've also recently constructed a grappling dummy to assit in drilling movement series on as well. This has been a great addition and if you're into any sort of grappling I think it's a good idea. The additional reps you can garner without a partner will go a long way to helping you ingrain those motions.

Finally, shadow boxing, or kata if that's your thing, will fit into this as well. If some of your stuff isn't reflected in any of the kata you know then it's a good idea to use those motions in your shadow boxing drills. These are also great for foot work and I really advise focusing on this while you're doing it.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

You might consider a different focus each week. Week 1, focus on the upper body basics. Week 2, do the kicks. Week 3, do katas. Or, base it off what you do in class that week. If the focus is kata, maybe do basics with your own time, etc.

I do a variety of things. Right now since I can maybe attend class 1-2 times a week, I have 4 individual training sessions per week in kihon. On days I attend class I won't do those kihon sessions for those days.

My current approach is similar to a class structure of sorts. I mokuso then warm up a bit, then go into stationary kihon. One day I'll do blocks and strikes, the next blocks and kicks, so both will be done twice a week. I then do some floorwork, mostly basic stuff but just to focus on the stepping and striking. I then do some kata, some accessory exercises for techniques that I want to focus on or feel are lacking, then stretch. Pretty basic stuff but effective.

On my own time i do kata mostly, but my school has a lot of kata so it takes a long time to go through them

besides that I love doing our partner drills, one-steps or four-steps without a partner, whether it's a prearranged drill or just techniques I want to work. it's just an easy way to get moving and get my mind working.

from there I usually do some heavy bag work or lifting. I like to end with something purely physical after engaging my mind with the kata.

I do drills like these on days I don't attend class

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

I would say that the two most important things to karate are:

1) Core

2) Flexibility

Do core exercises.

Here are the core exercises I do while watching TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYJ1XVNi46Q

This coupled with constant stretching are things one can do at home while watching TV or throughout the day that greatly improve technique.

Way of Japan Karate Do

Bakersfield, Ca. USA

I go through basics and several exercises a master taught us he called "closet exercises" because they focused on only one step or in-place techniques. They help you to focus your movement from the hips to different stances, etc.

I'll do some kata if I have the space. If I don't I'll do the kata in place or backwards, which is quite fun.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I used to try to practice basics every day, but eventually I began to get kind of tired of it honestly and found myself struggling to keep up with it. I feel that you must do whatever it is that motivates you and keeps you going. I try to practice kata for at least 10 minutes three times a day. It goes by quickly that way, it's refreshing whenever you do them and it keeps everything fresh.

One note is to consider how important what you practice really is. Afterall, it is not the technique which is truly important. What is outside is merely a reflection of the inside and so you can practice anything to improve your spirit, mind, body, etc. When you improve what is inside, then other techniques will reflect that improvement no matter what the techniques may be.

We learn the techniques to improve our spirit, minds, and bodies, but then in the end we must let go of the technique in order for true technique to arise. So I my opinion, it don't worry so much about what you practice, just practice and do whatever will keep you motivated and moving. :)

A monk walked into a pizzeria and said, "Make me one with everything."