• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Be A Kid Again!

Yesterday I held/hosted a "Young Martial Artists Day" at the Hombu. This day was open to any and all martial artist from any style of the martial arts with only one rule...all participants had to be between the ages of 4 - 17 years old. The only adults allowed were the Hombu instructors and parents.

We did everything possible from A to Z that would generate the days only two requirements...Fun...Educational! This was their jubilation! We had a blast from 8AM to 8PM. The Hombu provided all of the drinks and food during the day. The evening was capped by dinner and demonstrations from all of the Hombu instructors. This event was...FREE!!!!!

As I watched the kids enjoy themselves throughout the day doing the martial arts, I was reminded of something that we instructors might tend to forget about from time to time, and that is this. Our young martial artists ARE the future for the martial arts if the martial arts is to continue, and, we must be ever thankful for their spirit. It's up to us to guide them along the path/journey of the martial arts in a responsible manner. Not just because their our future, but more importantly, because their human beings. Otherwise, we're witnessing the end of the martial arts and in that, we would've only done the martial arts in vain, other than for ourselves!

What I witnessed that day was a plethoria of spirits; spirts that wanted to live life to its fullest and have fun along the way. I saw young martial artists...

^...That didn't worry about all the small stuff so much!

^...That were very precocious!

^...That had no reservations!

^...That trusted us to protect them!

^...That trusted us not lie to them!

^...That didn't want to be judged incorrectly!

^...That tried hard to please themselves and...us!

^...That truly understood how to laugh!

^...That truly knew how to have fun!

^...That were exceptional martial artists!

I could go on and on with the miracles that I witnessed that day, but, I just want to end this post with this...

Oh, to be a kid...just one more time!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What I've noticed is that kids today are less fearful than they were when I was a kid. I admire them for that.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

My main concern is that martial arts seems to be being relegated to 'something that only children do'. I like watching them do amazing things, but I ache because I want to be able to teach them more than I probably can without raising hackles of parents and the like. (You taught little Suzie how to do WHAT?? You freak, I didn't send them to learn martial arts so you could teach them how to fight!)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I can see what you are saying here, JusticeZero, and I too would like to see our adult classes filled to the brim. Parents get busy, especially with kids, and find it hard to make time for hobbies of their own. I know that I struggle to find time for my own training more and more, as the kids become more and more involved in sports, etc.

My main concern is that martial arts seems to be being relegated to 'something that only children do'.

I agree with you on this statement - I've heard this from other people as well. There's definitely not enough adults in martial arts schools - at least the ones I have visited where I am.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Thanks for sharing this, Bob.

Generally speaking, if the martial arts interests you - it interests you. If kids doing it discourages you from doing it, you're can't be that deeply interested in it - can you? People who say "the martial arts is something kids do" are people who aren't going to be interested in the martial arts, anyway, for the most part, and that's their choice. It's on par with someone thinking all martial arts are the same or are "Karate." Why does it matter so much?

If that's the concern, too, what's the answer to that concern? Prevent children from wearing a gi? Preventing them from taking the martial arts? At the end of the day, it's not the children's fault. I go back to what I said on that thread about young black belts. I would also note that if you have a passionate child who does the martial arts, that person has to be much, much, much more likely to develop into a passionate adult who does the martial arts. As Bob eluded to, you are teaching the adults of the future.

Teaching children is a huge responsibility. Setting accurate expectations with parents will go a long way toward preventing confusion over instruction. Having an open door to parents and encouraging them to ask questions, etc. does, too. But, there will always be the odd parents who is concerned and they have to do what they have to do. An instructor has to realize that the kids he or she teaches are not his or her kids - the parents decide what they want their kids to learn and, as an instructor, you have to accurately convey what your lessons contain, so that parents can make that choice. This doesn't mean them dictating your lesson plan - but it does mean being able to tell them what that plan contains.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Patrick

That sounds very fun! I'm glad something like this goes on and I hope to participate or help organize something like this for the future.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Patrick - its just that it is extremely frustrating to constantly have to explain to people (adult friends, relatives, people you meet, at work, etc.) when they ask what your hobbies are or what you do in your spare time, and you tell them - - - some people who don't do martial arts (not all) have this pre-conceived notion about it and who does it and I guess after a while it's annoying to have to constantly defend something that you take serious but other people do not. That's really where the frustration lies. I guess it shouldn't let it bother me but because I am passionate about my hobby, it does.

I do so however admire the kids who are so mature that they take it seriously, those are the ones you can learn right along next to without having to feel like there's a kid in the class who is going to goof off and make constant interruptions.

Patrick - its just that it is extremely frustrating to constantly have to explain to people (adult friends, relatives, people you meet, at work, etc.) when they ask what your hobbies are or what you do in your spare time, and you tell them - - - some people who don't do martial arts (not all) have this pre-conceived notion about it and who does it and I guess after a while it's annoying to have to constantly defend something that you take serious but other people do not. That's really where the frustration lies. I guess it shouldn't let it bother me but because I am passionate about my hobby, it does.

I do so however admire the kids who are so mature that they take it seriously, those are the ones you can learn right along next to without having to feel like there's a kid in the class who is going to goof off and make constant interruptions.

I completely get that. But I'm a talker and if you get me going on a topic eventually they get the idea I'm not a sword-wielding maniac or a bar brawler. :D

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu