• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different media for different technique

I spotted a comment on a web sight talking about a new book about to be released by Greg Jackson's camp on stand up technique. Someone said that they thought you would get less out of a book on stand up than you would a book on grappling.

What are the thoughts of the folks here? Do you think that trying to learn tech from a book is easier for stand up or grappling? Does video work better for stand up or grappling? Which one do you pick up from best? Of course, live instruction is best. But, sometimes you have troubles with time and geography in reaching an instructor. If you had to pick a format for working on improving your stand up, what do you want, book or video? If your working on grappling, is it books or video that you want?

Does it matter if your a striker working on your striking or a grappler working on your ground game?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you want to work on your striking, and you absolutely can't find an instructor, buy a heavy bag and start punching it. Feeling the weight of hitting something, how to move it, how to use your body, you'll get a lot more out of that than trying to just learn from a tape. I would be willing to say that someone that knows a couple punches, and hits the bag for an hour or so a day, will be better at striking than the average person.

If you want to get some serious hitting power, and learn to strike correctly, no tape or book can teach you how.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I like to have books for sources on just about anything. The thing I like the most about books, especially with good photos, is being able to get a technique in a stop-in-time kind of format. I think it helps me to see it in chunks, and then get to putting it all together.

I would take books for both stand-up and ground, but what is important is the presentation of the photos and the descriptions. I've found that the Gracie book series on BJJ are very well photographed, and explained.

With that said, after reading review, seeing a video of how it all flows together is most helpful in completing everything.

If you want to work on your striking, and you absolutely can't find an instructor, buy a heavy bag and start punching it.

Missed the point of the question there Issin. I'm not talking about implimenting training/inacting improvements. I'm talking about expanding knowledge base without live instruction.

If your trying to work out something new, without an instructor, before you get on the floor and work with a partner/bag/makawari, what source works best for you? Can you look at a series of technique in a book and get it well enough to work it out live, or do you want a video of the tech? That's what I'm getting at.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I too am a book guy. I think it works easier for both. Personally, which you'll get more out of, I think it depends largely how you're wired and what you're already good at.

Book both ways.

I guess I'd prefer the book for striking and the video for grappling. Striking is what I do so as long as there are a decent amount of photos and good explanations to go along with it I'd pick the book. But I have very little experience with grappling so a high quality video where I can slo-mo it or freeze-frame and still see whats going on would be better, I think.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I wasn't sure before about how much experience the person in question had. If they're inexperienced, then I wouldn't use a book or video, because it wouldn't help. If they're very experienced, that's when media sources can do some good. It's more an enhancement of ideas than finding new ones.

As far as references go, I like books the most. There are numerous viewpoints, and you can get a lot of older books by some of the older masters as well. It's a bit difficult to get some of those viewpoints on video.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

What I like about a book is that the text can go into depth about the technique, especially in a striking art, and there can be a good number of still-shots with insets, arrows drawn to show body (e.g., the hips) as well as limb (such as leg/foot) motion, and it's portable; you can bring a book around with you, whether it be in the middle of a form or a technique, so that you can glance at it to get over bumps in the road.

Videos show a live, fluid action, and can be in slo-mo (as DWx observed) or even zoomed into. While I'm not familiar with grappling videos, I've learned joint locks better by video than by book.

For Soo Bahk Do in particular, I've got three books and three matching DVDs, none of which take the place of an instructor, but all of which have been helpful either in peeking ahead to what I'm to be introduced to, or reminding me at home of what my teacher spent class time on.

Considering what ShoriKid wrote in one post, "I'm talking about expanding knowledge base without live instruction," I'd say Black Belt magazine articles, the book I finished (Chinatown Jeet Kune Do), and what I'm reading now (Martial Mechanics) have all expanded my MA knowledge in greater depth than videos (such as on YouTube or eHow), which demonstrate very well, but don't cause me to sit back and think, as a book does.

Do books (and articles) give us information and serve as a catalyst to seek out videos? Maybe so.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

What are the thoughts of the folks here? Do you think that trying to learn tech from a book is easier for stand up or grappling? Does video work better for stand up or grappling? Which one do you pick up from best? Of course, live instruction is best. But, sometimes you have troubles with time and geography in reaching an instructor. If you had to pick a format for working on improving your stand up, what do you want, book or video? If your working on grappling, is it books or video that you want?

My opinion first. Do books or don't do books...do videos or don't do videos! It's what works for you! Both have their pro's and con's about them, yet, so does most anything in the world. Expanding ones knowledge base, well, that's tantamount to any person, including a martial artist!

Things can be learnt from books/videos, but, without a qualified instructor live, one can only go as far as your maturity and understanding will allow you. Yes, anything of value learnt is better than having learnt nothing! A book/video can't "see" you, therefore, a book/video can't "correct" your mistakes. This is bad! Why? Bad habits are being formed, thus, bad habits are difficult to break once muscle memory takes root. Ones bad habit is anothers victory!

OK, now my answer. If I had a choice, I'd get BOTH, if possible. While a picture is worth a thousand words, seeing it in action is worth a million words! I believe that they'd compliment each other.

Back to my opinion. Martial Arts being learnt strictly by book/video, for one reason or another, isn't, imho, a wise choice because, again, one can only go so far before meeting someone who's gone farther in their training by having a live qualified instructor!

Books...worth a thousand words!

Video...worth a million words!

AND

Live qualified instructor...priceless!

Now that's a powerful trio!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Personally, I don't believe in books, videos or tapes to a certain degree.

To get the most out of anything, you need to learn it first hand from a live instructor.