• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrong reason for self-defense class?

Heard a comercial on the way home today that had me thinking about taking a self-defense class. For all the wrong reasons though.

I've been at this long enough that I think I know most of what they can throw at me. Nothing new. The two reasons i was thinking about taking the class were as follows. To see what they are marketing as a self-defense course. The second is to get to tee off on someone who is armored up. I mean unload full bore and not worry about what is going to happen to them.

We armor up some to spar, but you always have to hold some back. If not, you run the risk of injury. We don't have the resources for the full armor that SD courses have for the attackers. Is it wrong to want to throttle up and lay it on someone in full armor without regard to their health and safety? Is it wrong that I go into a class knowing that I have a fair shot of having the strongest technique in the room and know I'm going to use it?

Hopefully, you understand I'm not a nut job, or cruel. I just want to see just what I can do to an agressor who's 100% and not coming at me as a well trained fighter.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I only hear of this when someone's wearing a "Red Man" suit, and self-defense techniques (especially women's self-defense) are carried out full blast.

The closest to this, as I see it, is not much protection at all and you're in a UFC ring. Limited rules are there, such as don't gouge the eyes, but I wouldn't say the fighters are nut jobs. I'd say they're tough men and women who express themselves in "combat."

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

ShoriKid, I don't think that either of those are wrong reasons to go to the class. Seeing what is being marketed out there is kind of a way to windowshop the Martial Arts. Not a bad call. After all is said and done, you may find something you like.

As for getting to tee off on someone, I can't blame you there, either. At one of the DT sessions that I attended, someone geared up in a Redman suit. I got excited about the idea of really teeing off on the guy in the suit, too. Not many of us ever really get a chance to really unload, and see what it feels like. Getting a chance to do that should be taken.

Absolutely not!!! It's only natural to take full advantage of using your skill at full power on a living and moving target. Furthermore, it will make your technique better and more applicable for self defense use. Anytime you can do this...it will make you better.

I'm glad to hear you care enough about keeping your skills sharp to go and train anywhere you can.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Perfectly normal and a good idea to boot!

This kind of thing will give you instant feedback on how your game is working against a committed aggressor who is resisting. For this kind of thing, I highly recommend the Blauer High Gear armor over Red Man. It actually lets attackers move like real opponents, not determined zombies.

Really good idea to train this way from time to time. There will be safety catches in place if the guys running the training are good. One can still get hurt in those things and precautions need to be in place; however, good trainers will account for this.

No drill is 100 percent combat, but this kind of thing will get you closer, quick. It will also help you learn to deal with the adrenaline dump that goes with a fight and how to manage it.

Defiantly go for it.

Back in my day if you wanted to “test your skills” the only option was to get into full contact matches. I still have a few health issues related to this experience. Going off on someone who is fully padded and protected is a good, and much safer, way of doing things than we used to.

One point to note however, as an experienced Martial Artist, don’t add your $.02 about a technique unless the instructor directly asks for your opinion. This would be rude IMO!

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

Wonder what the instructor would think though if a trained maist turns up in a SD class intended for complete novices?

I can understand your reasons for wanting to do it though; I've never taken one but always wanted to know what kinda stuff they teach. Would love to have a go at one of those full armour suits too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The second is to get to tee off on someone who is armored up. I mean unload full bore and not worry about what is going to happen to them.

Is it wrong to want to throttle up and lay it on someone in full armor without regard to their health and safety?

Yes... it's wrong. If you know the gear is good enough that they're safe from injury with the techniques you'll employ, then fine, but that's not what you're asking. When you know you're risking injuring them seriously, then of course it's wrong. The crucial point is that they're probably running the course to try to make a bit of money (fair enough), but hopefully they're sincere in wanting to help people defend themselves, and prepared to take a _bit_ of a pounding to that end, so that the people who're genuinely there to learn self defence walk away more enabled and confident. They're presumably not telling students they're becoming street-lethal black belts, just improving their odds a little against a street crazy. Not only is it unethical to suddenly and unexpected unleash a different class of violence against them, it's actually cowardly. You're effectively picking a fight with someone - probably far less able than you - who's so bound up in pads they can't fight back.

It's a completely different matter if you find someone advertising a martial arts system where the practice involves these pads, and they're bragging that they learn how to fight for real against other martial artists / fighters. By all means, go in and - when an instructor's wearing the padding (students aren't responsible for their instructor's bragging) - let rip.

Hopefully, you understand I'm not a nut job, or cruel. I just want to see just what I can do to an agressor who's 100% and not coming at me as a well trained fighter.

I hope you can find someone with the equipment and experience to know how to explore that safely. Rent/borrow/buy the kit and, with a MA friend, gradually escalate the attacks as you find out what's safe. Failing that, you can consider being a cage fighter, bouncer, soldier etc. where - for better or worse - life may bring you some experience. But, walking into a self defence class and overstepping the mark is just wrong.

Cheers,

Tony