• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fedor, Strikeforce, and Dana White

So, Fedor has decided to sign with Strikeforce for a few fights, and White comes out swinging with class. Here's the link to the story: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-signs-with-strikeforce-18883

I know the UFC is a legit MMA powerhouse mixed with some WWF showmanship, but seriously, Dana needs to wake up a little bit. Yes, the UFC offers (arguably) great competition, but who can really hang with Fedor in the heavyweight division? Everyone is salivating over a Lesnar/Fedor match-up, but what else, who else, is there? If Fedor comes in and destroys Lesnar, there's no way Frank Mir is going to match up well. And if Fedor is such a huge joke (see the article), why was Dana White trying so hard to get him to sign a deal with the UFC? Everyone knows that the UFC pays, but it also wants you to sign contract that may as well be retirement notices. This was more of a rant than anything, but Fedor only has 3 fights with Strikeforce. What do you think the chances of him finally giving into Dana White are after he's finished with the current deal?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unless Dana meets some of Fedor's stipulations we'll never see him in the UFC. Fedor likes to be able to compete when he feels like not at the desire of the organization. Fedor still likes to compete in Sanbo matches, and mixed martial arts in Russia. Dana likes to have fighters signed to exclusive contract that the fighters can only compete for the UFC.

Dana also thinks that if Fedor is the best he'll be able to bet Lesnar. But let's say they fight and Fedor looses Dana then has the grounds to say he's not a top tier fighter. Fedor vs. Randy is a match that alot of people would like to see.

Fedor vs. most of the heavyweight roster is something people have been waiting to see. Not to mention, he'd go along way in shoring up the division.

I can really see why White wants his guys exclusive. Aside from people seeing them elsewhere for less, you don't want a guy you've invested big money in going and getting hurt is some fight that you're not banking any coin on.

Dana White's trying to get him because he knows that the fans will shell out for the fight, no matter his opinion of either guy.

Hopefully, we'll see him after his three fight deal, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

White should have taken the high road here. I agree that if he wants Fedor that bad, then he'll work with Fedor to get him there. I really don't think Fedor cares about having to "prove" he is the best by bending to the will of the UFC. I think this is one situation that White is not going to win, and his words at the end of that article won't help in bringing Fedor back any time soon...unless White agrees to fight Fedor...that might bring him on boad...

Isn't Business 101 just wonderful? Isn't the back and forth of negotiating wonderful? I'm wondering when the MMA fighters are going to stage their very first strike/walk-out for more money/benefits?

Get Fedor or don't get Fedor; the one who's better at this game of Business/Negotiating will be the winner. Just as long as the fans AND MMA doesn't suffer from this!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 year later...

It turns out that the answer to "who can really hang with Fedor in the heavyweight division?" was Fabricio Werdum, who couldn't hang with the UFC HW division.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

This was being talked about nearly a year and a half ago before we saw Fedor age before our eyes and before Cain Velasquez came on the scene. I'd make exactly the opposite argument these days.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 1 month later...

I guess the point is pretty moot now. Fedor pretty much said he was finished after the stoppage to Silva last weekend. That doesn't change the fact that Dana White is a spoiled baby and UFC is going downhill in a big way; disrespect is commonplace, it is vulgar and crass and seeing the fights is hardly worth putting up with the rest of the garbage. Dana White and the UFC are doing for martial arts, what crack cocaine and gangster rap did for the inner city 25 years ago.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

I'm not enirely certain about that.

You can feel about the way that the atheletes act all you want, but it's hard to argue that the skill and talent is far greater now than it's ever been. There is the occassional dud of a card, but by and large the ppv cards have been exciting with some exceptional skill showcased. Add some top champs like GSP and Silva that are someof the best fight athletes of our time and you've got an organization that is far more professional than ever before.

Standardization of the rules, largely due to White and Zuffa has legitimized the sport. That's led to less brawlers and more skilled competitors that are well rounded in multipe diciplines.

Not to shabby.