• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Do You Punch?

I see that example, Joe, as being more of the "thrust" than the push. I just don't think a push would be productive in many ways, at least not with the fist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was an interesting explanation from Edwin Haislet in On Boxing, p. 8:

Hitting does not mean pushing. True hitting is like the snap of a whip--all the energy is slowly concentrated and then suddenly released with a tremendous outpouring of power. Pushing is exactly the opposite, with the concentrated force at the start of the blow and a subsequent loss of power as the arm leaves the body. In real hitting the feet are always directly under the body. In pushing the body is often off-balance as the force of the blow does not come from a pivot of the body but from a push off the right toe.

I like his reference to the snap of a whip, and after my Thursday Soo Bahk Do class, the past assistant instructor, who was visiting, spoke with me about knife hand blocks, which can also be strikes, that when I practice them, I should concentrate more on exploding them out from what looks like a "hugging oneself" position.

After a break that let me go home and get changed, I went to my Jeet Kune Do class, where footwork was especially concentrated on. When we punched, we carried our bodyweight into the lead hand strike, although for the rear hand, it felt more like conventional boxing--but straight punches only, no hook shots.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu